Recipe amount clarification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alistair Farroll

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I would like to ask if someone could clarify an ingredient amount in this recipe URL.

Ultra-Low Carb Butter Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

If you change the Unit from US Imperial to Metric it gives the Almond flour as - 354 15/17ml. However this is a little confusing as it seems it should read something like 354 OR 15/17ml. What does this measurement mean please?

Thank you

Hello,

I would like to ask if someone could clarify an ingredient amount in this recipe URL.

Ultra-Low Carb Butter Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

If you change the Unit from US Imperial to Metric it gives the Almond flour as - 354 15/17ml. However this is a little confusing as it seems it should read something like 354 OR 15/17ml. What does this measurement mean please?

Thank you

354.88 grams is what the 1-1/2 cups converts to. I don't trust recipes that make errors in the conversions.

15/17 is the fractional representation of .88

So 354 and 15/17 milliliters is the same thing as 354.88 ml.

Whatever software they used for the conversion just used a fraction instead of a decimal.

15/17 is the fractional representation of .88

So 354 and 15/17 milliliters is the same thing as 354.88 ml.

Whatever software they used for the conversion just used a fraction instead of a decimal.

If you'll notice they used mL and not grams. That is what Craig was referring to since mL is a volume unit of measure, i.e. liquids, versus mass, i.e. solids.

Last edited:
The OP was referring to the confusing fraction and I showed her the math. To be honest, I ignored your husband's post and was answering the OP, not him.

Over the years you've been here, you have followed me around here 'defending' your boy, as if he can't speak for himself. I don't post very often anymore, and when I do, I don't need you jumping on me. Whatever your problem is, take it elsewhere. I'm over it. Consider yourself blocked.

The US measure was for fluid ounces which is a volume measurement. That converts to 354.88ml (354 15/17th ml) which is also a volume measurement. I'd go with 355ml.

The US measure was for fluid ounces which is a volume measurement. That converts to 354.88ml (354 15/17th ml) which is also a volume measurement. I'd go with 355ml.

No, the amount was 1-1/2 CUPS. It doesn't change to fluid ounces until you click on metric, then click back to US imperial. Go look at the recipe again and try it. Regardless, you obviously don't measure almond flour in fluid ounces. Other solids (cream cheese and softened butter) are noted in ounces and convert correctly to grams. Nor should 354 15/17 be used. If you use metric, you use metric. If you use imperial, you use imperial. It would be like saying somebody weighed 140.5 pounds, while everybody knows what is meant, it is technically incorrect and should be 140-1/2 pounds. Recipe writing should be a form of technical writing, especially if you are posting it for others to use.

1½ cups is still a volume measurement and still doesn't convert to grams. 1½ or 1.5 cups is equal to 354.88ml.

AFAIC, fractions should be abolished and everything less than 1 should be stated as a decimal.

Right. I understand that.

1/4 cup of almond flour by volume weighs 28 grams. Again, this is according to the nutritional information on an actual bag of almond flour.

Yes, but the conversion was a volume to volume conversion from cups to milliliters.

I'm going to stick with 168 grams. Believe me, I use a lot of almond flour and I know what it weighs and how it translates to cups. The conversion on that web site is incorrect. Most people around the world weigh non-liquid ingredients. I understand why they're doing what they're doing but that's not how the real world works as far as recipes are concerned.

And as far as the decimal argument goes, I would be very happy if the US would simply go to the metric system like everyone else in the world. In the grand scheme of things, it would make exchanging recipes a whole lot easier if we all talked the same language.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with 168 grams. Believe me, I use a lot of almond flour and I know what it weighs and how it translates to cups. The conversion on that web site is incorrect. Most people around the world weigh non-liquid ingredients. I understand why they're doing what they're doing but that's not how the real world works as far as recipes are concerned.

And as far as the decimal argument goes, I would be very happy if the US would simply go to the metric system like everyone else in the world. It would make things a whole lot easier for all of us in the grand scheme of things.

You're not wrong. But the recipe was doing a volume to volume conversion.

In this case, 1½ cups = 168 grams = 354.88 milliliters. It's all good. I also prefer weight measures over volume measures as there are more accurate. Flour is notoriously compactabe making volume measures unreliable.

I'm 100% with you on metric conversion. But that's another rat hole for another day.

The OP was referring to the confusing fraction and I showed her the math. To be honest, I ignored your husband's post and was answering the OP, not him.

Over the years you've been here, you have followed me around here 'defending' your boy, as if he can't speak for himself. I don't post very often anymore, and when I do, I don't need you jumping on me. Whatever your problem is, take it elsewhere. I'm over it. Consider yourself blocked.

Delusions of grandeur much? I don't care enough to "follow" you around. Reciprocated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom