Recipe for a suet pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilHev

Assistant Cook
My husband, from Essex UK, talk with great awe about a suet pudding his grandmother used to make. From the little he is able to tell me it is a savoury item served with roast dinner or stew, they were in a bag (muslin I am guessing), they came out out of a big stock pot...... I am Scottish and the closest I can imagine is a mealy pudding, which he admits is close. I am just hoping that someone out there that knows what I am talking about!

Last edited:
We, in Scotland, have is a similar pudding called a mealy pudding and is oatmeal based, but I would love to make something close to my husband's childhood. I hoped by putting Essex someone might know something as his family go back generations from the area and the recipe is unlikely to be from outside the area unless it is from Suffolk/Herts.

I'm wondering if they were suit dumplings? If so, then that is simple. I can give you a recipe but there will be loads if you google it. I put a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs in mine or a pinch of colmans mustard powder inwith the flour. These 'dumplings' are delicious but, of course, also a grand way to " fill up" a hungry family when times were harder. Not the same as the wonderful 'Cloutie' of course but just as good on a cold winter evening with a good beef stew.
Hope this helps?

Here is my grama's recipe that she would make for my Dad.
I asked his sister (91 yrs old) my aunt if she had gramas recipe. and she found my grama recipe in my gramas old recipe box. We laughed going thru the recipe she had in it. One was how to make tea, boil water and then put tea in water till darkness wanted.

Suet Pudding
serves 8
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup suet
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup figs
Add milk, molasses to the suet, beat in the flour and the rest of the spices, add in the fruit.
brush the side of the mold with melted fat and dust with flour
Pour mixture into mold
Steam for 3 hours serve with Lemon sauce
Lemon Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbl cornstarch
1cup boiling water
2 tbl butter
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
sprinkle of nutmeg
a bit of grated lemon rind may be added
mix sugar and cornstarch add boiling water and salt
boil till thick and clear
then beat in butter, lemon juice, nutmeg and rind
serve warm

My dad told me how he couldn't wait for his mother to make this. He said it was the one day he didn't complain about going out to the coal bin in the winter to keep the stove going. My dad is 86 and remembers this fondly. I am now going to make it for him in the next week or 2. Says he hasn't had it since she died 35 yrs ago.

Forgot to mention My dad's grandparents came over from england

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they were suit dumplings? If so, then that is simple. I can give you a recipe but there will be loads if you google it. I put a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs in mine or a pinch of colmans mustard powder inwith the flour. These 'dumplings' are delicious but, of course, also a grand way to " fill up" a hungry family when times were harder. Not the same as the wonderful 'Cloutie' of course but just as good on a cold winter evening with a good beef stew.
Hope this helps?

Yes, that's what I was guessing, Menumaker. Suet dumplings are delicious with stew and also with some thick veggie/barley soups.

The other savoury suet pudding that comes to mind is of course Steak and Kidney Pudding. Yum yum! (Or Kate and Sidney, as it's known in cockney London). So easy to make and so scrumptious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom