"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have most of my important recipes, along with recipes I'd like to try, on Word, in folders like Andy's. I also have binders and recipe boxes here, there and yonder.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Totally unorganized pile in a kitchen drawer. Small notes, large print outs, magazines, all of'em. UN-OR-GAN-IZED. :) But I know what's in there, somewhere.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

I tried the computer thing once but found it awfully time consuming typing in recipes. I can whip up an index card much quicker. I know it's "old-fashioned" but that's the way I learned to cook and many of my cards are in Mom's and Grandma's handwriting. That always brings a smile to my face when I use them since they are both gone now.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have a good amount on the computer in a program my husband designed for me, and I also have my share of binders with clipped out recipes in as well as a number of cookbooks and recipe cards. Any new ones I've found I've got in a text file and after I try them they'll either be added to my collection or deleted.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

my mom does this and now I do it too. Glue all your recipes on a piece of paper slip the paper in a plastic sleeve and put them in a 3 ring binder. If you use a glue stick it takes no time at all. have fun
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

i see everyone is split between the of having hard copies, or using programs. I will most probably go with digital library and bring my laptop into the kitchen. Thanks for all the useful programs.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Master Chef

We had another thread about this subject recently, How Do You Store/Save Your Recipes? that might give you some more ideas.

I store mine pretty much like Andy M. - I would never take my laptop into the kitchen and set it on the counter where I am working (I put my laptop into harms way enough having it on the coffee table with a cup of coffee when my 5-yo grandson is running around the house chasing the dogs) ... I put my recipes in plastic sleeves where they will not get messed up while I'm cooking, I have a hook on a cabinet door so I can hang the recipe up in front of me out of the way, and put them back into the notebooks when I'm done. I also have an under cabinet book rack that my son made for me that I can pull down to hold cookbooks if I need to, and it has a sheet of clear plexiglass to protect the pages.

I have looked at several recipe software programs but was never really satisfied with any of them.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
Everymom

Hard copy mostly for me. I can tell how good the recipe is from the stains all over it. There are lots of printed recipes from DC in my files and many magazines. I have a recipe box that has my old standbys and my favorite cookbooks open to the relevant pages. I don't EVER take my laptop to the kitchen. Far too likely to spill on it. (See the aforementioned stained recipe pages!) Be careful if you do that chelli.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I like the idea of using plexi or a transparent surface to protect the cook book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I also have an under cabinet book rack that my son made for me that I can pull down to hold cookbooks if I need to, and it has a sheet of clear plexiglass to protect the pages.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Two thoughts - first, bringing recipes into a software program (whatever it is) is a pain when you first get started, no doubt. But there are ways to ameliorate that. First, you can choose a program that lets you automatically download recipes from top recipe sites. Second, you can enter recipes as you make them, rather than try to sit down and do them all at once.

Second, about the safety of using the laptop in the kitchen. You definitely want to think this through and take precautions. In my kitchen, there is an opening between the kitchen and the dining room. There is a ledge wide enough to support my computer, but it is not used or designed for food prep, and it is not near the stove, sink, or even a countertop used for prep. It is as safe there as it is anywhere. I'm thinking about the kitchens of other people I know - and I can actually see safe places for laptops in most of them. A little bit of counter that's not used for prep and isn't adjacent to a sink or stove would be just fine, as long as that counter wasn't also being used for prep or too close to a prep area that it's susceptible to spills, splashes, etc. My software has something called "chef view" that brings up a very plain, high contrast window with huge type that I can see from across the room. I bring this up only because this doesn't have to be a deal breaker for someone thinking about using their computer to store recipes, provided they think out a safe location for their laptop.