"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Consul and FtW, are you guys decent at coding? I've been thinking about writing my own little app in Java, but the problem I run into is that I HATE coding. The idea I had was to have a window sort of like the iTunes window, but instead of Song names/Genre etc. you would have Recipe name and category (chicken, beef, veggies, etc.) and when the user selects a recipe, the Title, ingredients, etc. are all displayed in that same window. As for referencing, i know a lot of music apps use .xml files to keep track of the music library, I imagine it would be much the same with recipe indexing. The only problem I could forsee with this is the filetype of the recipes, if you use .doc or .rtf or .txt you might have issues keeping your recipe files separate from your work or personal files. I'm tempted to say you may not even need files, and you could just display it sort of like an Address Book app, but then I don't know how printing etc. would work, and if you wanted to easily share your recipes, having a file makes it easier. I don't know much about Perl, but I suppose if you're interested in this idea you can have it; I just don't have the programming know-how, and even less the time to tackle a project like this.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by marytexas
When I asked the question about recipe software, I wasnt sure I was in the right place or if anyone would answer.
Thanks for all of your time and answers. Since I asked that question I have tried Cookn, Living Cookbook, Mealmaster, Accuchef.
Living Cookbook has the best support of any of them. Ask a question and within a few hours or sooner you have an answer. But the program itself is slower. And I cant seem
to find out how to change the font.
Accuchef has a lot of good features. I really like how to put in recipes, but if you want to print out a chapter with index and recipes it seems difficult. I love the way the recipe looks printed as an individual recipe. Emailing a recipe is not as attractive when its received as it should be. Columns are wrapped.
I saw the Accuchef has a group forum but it seems to be just recipe exchanges.
Does anyone have any info on Accuchef or living cookbook that would help?
Problems with lists and columns losing tabulation and wrapping is generally a shortcoming of the email software more than it is with the database application. You will often see the same difficulties in trying to post those lists in a forum too. For whatever reason the the tab and column spaces aren't seen the same way, so they are mostly ignored when displaying them. I wouldn't reject the recipe software based on that, as it is likely be a problem with any of them.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Master Chef
As I write and sell cookbooks on CD ROM, I like "The Living Cookbook" as it has the ability to take a recipe and tell you the nutritional values of it. I use it to enhance the value of my cookbooks, and to give the purchaser another tool in the quest for good nutrition. It's a valuable tool for me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
What I've found...

I actually found these forums a couple weeks ago while searching for some software.

I've tried four of them and the one I like most is Big Oven at http://www.bigoven.com , each program has the pro's and con's, there's just seemed to be a good fit for me and is probaly why it's not free after 30 days.

Things about it I like:
1. Entering a recipe. It's just easier compared to some of the other programs I've tried.
2. Emailing recipes. There sent HTML style and also sent as an attachment.
3. Nutritional Facts. They put some time into this. I don't know how exact it really is but it anilyzes your ingrediant list calculates everything for you.
4. Calender Menu and shopping list. Just click and drag the recipe into either area and it automatically adds all the ingredients you'll need.

There is alot more stuff... I suggest giving it a try... I don't want to try and sell anyone on this, I just want people to know what I've found and like.

Hope you enjoy.
AdobeFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:03 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to theislandgirl
Originally Posted by marytexas
I've been checking out new recipe software. I've had
Mastercook but it doesnt have ability to print category page or listings of recipes within a category. I've been trying Cookn but having trouble backing up. Did backup but then couldnt open file to see if everything is ok.
Does anyone have any ideas? Do you have any software that you really like to use to put your recipes in cookbook fashion?
I've been using MasterCook for years, from version 3 through 7. There's usually a good workaround solution for almost any known "problem" available on THIS webpage -- http://mastercook_cupboard.tripod.com/ -- usually somebody else has wanted to do whatever it is... and if that fails to provide answers, there's an excellent group of experienced MC users with most answers to most questions at Yahoo Groups, the MasterCookDiscussion @ yahoogroups.com (free sign-up for a Yahoo id required)...

Hope this helps!
Culinary & Nutrition Geek
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #16
So, FWT, Consul, College Cook - any updates on building DC's e-Cookbook? I just found this thread and was so hoping to read on of the more recent posts to say, "here's a link to the Access db that I just finished..." or something along those lines. I wish I could code, and have tried and failed miserably, and envy those who can...
amcardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
Master Chef
I bought "Now You're Cooking" software several years ago, but I found it to be a pain in the neck.
So I simply created a folder in my temporary files called "Recipe Files", which stores everything in alphabetical order. That way, I can either right-click a page and click "Save As", or I can highlight the text I desire to save, then copy and paste into Word, then "Save As" into the Recipe files.
It's a lot easier, I think.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
I have way too many cookbooks, newspaper recipes, and scraps of paper with stuff written on them to be fooling around with computer stuff.

If you guys figure out how to put all the DC recipes in something, though, I will definitely try it!

Right now I just keep all the DC recipes I want to try on my hard drive in a folder called "Eat This." And someday I will have tried every recipe. But don't hold your breath!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by mudbug
I have way too many cookbooks, newspaper recipes, and scraps of paper with stuff written on them to be fooling around with computer stuff.

If you guys figure out how to put all the DC recipes in something, though, I will definitely try it!

Right now I just keep all the DC recipes I want to try on my hard drive in a folder called "Eat This." And someday I will have tried every recipe. But don't hold your breath!
If by 'something' you mean a software program, it's a multi-step program where possible.

I put any downloaded recipes into MS Word for storage. All my own cookbook recipes are in MS Word as well.

Using MasterCook, you can import recipes from MS Word but it's a tedious process.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to chefhelper
Okay, a little shamless promotion here, but I'm a personal chef and was very frustrated with menu/recipe/planning software out there. My husband is an IT guy/programmer and together, we created Chefhelper.com - originally it was just for my personal use, but we figured other chefs may like it....
We designed it for personal chefs, but it really can be used by anyone planning meals, etc. (small caterers, heads-of-households)

It's an ASP - meaning it's online (yes, it's a secure site) and there are no downloads that sit on your hard drive. Upgrades and changes are immediate, you can access your information anywhere you can get internet, and it works on PC's and Mac (I have a mac, so this was very important to me).

chefhelper is offline   Reply With Quote