"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Consul - If you're still playing around with Access, let me help. I actually did design my own recipe database a little while back. Frustration at everything out there being either too convoluted, or too simple. I used to be a database developer (oh yeah, back in the day, like 2002, ha ha ha), so this was a fun little side project. Let me know if you'd like for me to send the file so you can mess around a bit further?

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #22
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I use the freeware version of Cooking Aficionado, available on download.com or limepeak.com ! The limepeak site has a demo so you can see it, but hey, the software is FREE! It is a simple program, that allows you to organize recipe by your own categories! It also emails recipes in a nice format, great for sharing!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I've used MasterCook (Cooking Light) for years. I've made separate cookbooks in just about every topic, i.e. poultry, pasta, etc. Rather than type each ingred on separate lines, I copy and paste (from Word) into the directions portion. You can also copy, paste the food pics. I love it, couldn't be without it.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Cooking Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS
I use the freeware version of Cooking Aficionado, available on download.com or limepeak.com ! The limepeak site has a demo so you can see it, but hey, the software is FREE! It is a simple program, that allows you to organize recipe by your own categories! It also emails recipes in a nice format, great for sharing!
Thank you for the tip Shannon of Cooking Aficionado!
I have been searching for a program to handle all these bits and scraps of paper I dare not lose. I have downloaded and tried near a dozen and found them all to be lacking somewhere. But, Cooking Aficionado I had not heard of.

I found NowyourCooking to be my best bet, if I had to go and pay for one.

But now, I can try one more first.

I just joined this Forum. Mostly to send you a thank you, but I think I will like it here.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #25
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatwon
Thank you for the tip Shannon of Cooking Aficionado!
I have been searching for a program to handle all these bits and scraps of paper I dare not lose. I have downloaded and tried near a dozen and found them all to be lacking somewhere. But, Cooking Aficionado I had not heard of.

I found NowyourCooking to be my best bet, if I had to go and pay for one.

But now, I can try one more first.

I just joined this Forum. Mostly to send you a thank you, but I think I will like it here.
Happy New Year!
Welcome to DC! And I surely hope you like Cooking Aficionodo!!!! It is easy to copy and paste recipes into! And you can make your own categories so you can organize your recipes as you wish!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Cooking Aficionado 3.1

Sharron of KS,
OK. I D/Led and tried Cooking Aficionado 3.1. And this is what I found.

Cooking Aficionado 3.1 (CAProSetup.exe) (from DownLoad.com)

+All program operations are surprisingly fast and smooth.
+This program is definatly for a user who wants the "Hands-On" approach to managing fewer than one hundred personal recipes. I did not try the "E-Mail" function.
-It comes with only one recipe, you must "Add" recipes as your first endevor.
Adding Recipes:
-Title: only 32 char allowed, all else is truncated, ie: Biscuit Mix (All Purpose Baking Mix)=
Biscuit Mix (All Purpose Baking
-Ingredients: the first word cannot be Ingredients, space; causes "Print Preview" to hang.
+Attractive, full-page "Add Recipes" form with separate form panes for Title, Ingredients, Prep, Notes and Category.
-Input recipes by using the clipboard, "Cut 'n Paste", or typing everything.
-There is no "Import" function.
-Be sure to click the "Add" button after Inputting your recipe or you will lose it.
+Export funtion works by manualy choosing recipes, (1 or more), from a selected Category and it is then exported into the new "XML" format. I think this format is good, forward thinking by the Author.
+There is a "View in Text mode" to allow clipboard copying a single recipe out of the program.
+The "Print Preview" shows an attractive printout. Printouts are "one" recipe per page.

In conclusion:
I think the single biggest improvment which could be made for the program, would be, by adding Import/Export functions using a choice of generic text, MealMaster format and MasterCook format.

All-in-all, this is a promising program and pleasureable to use, even with it being free.

CC: To the Aurthor
Old 01-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Mac Users

I used to use MasterCook but they stopped supporting us poor Mac people many years ago so I now use "TheRecipeManager". Their latest upgrade is coming out very soon. They are quite receptive to user's suggestions for changes/improvements. I am thrilled with their support!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
I used to use MasterCook but they stopped supporting us poor Mac people many years ago so I now use "TheRecipeManager".
I found The RecipeManager to be chock full of good stuff and certainly a better program than "SO" many of the other free ones. It was my previous favorite freebie before I joined here. We should rate RecipeManager high here, especially because it reaches to the Mac users.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Exclamation A Free "Add-On" for you

Cogitum Co-Citer is a tool for creating the collections of texts from the Internet.

http://www.cogitum.com/

This free program is a really-neat help to "Grab" parts of a web page, saving in text form, such as a good looking recipe! It also saves the link so you can return to the page instantly when you want. It also will export your collection to a the HTML format.

I use it more and more.

---------------
I also use NetPicker2:
NetPicker allows you to select and save a portion of the web page by dragging it from your browser.
http://www.netpicker.net/

-----------------
I would be hard pressed to choose between them. Both are free and well-behaved programs.
So get one and spend less time collecting and more time trying out new stuff.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
has anyone tried to use Filemaker Pro. I have it and might try this as a new project. If it works out ok I will get the compiler. what I like about FMP is that it will run under both PC and MAC and you can use the complier software on Two computers if you want one PC and one MAC that way you can do Run time programs for clients. But when you are programing the DB you can do it on both machines. I started with this as I have a PC at home and most of my Clients have Mac's. And most of my Clients were running FMP on thier MAC's so I picked it up for my PC and then called the company and they offer good support and advice and the program in under 500.00 and the complier and program are under 1200.00 not a bad price when you are talking about relationable DB's. and they have a cheaper product for the home user but if you have the complier the end user does not need to have FM on thier computer.