"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

i hate softwares, i always use Word with neat color fonts, i think this feature wont available in all the softwares all of you using.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

I've used Big Oven and Living Cookbook. I like parts of both of them but over all my favorite is Living Cookbook. You can do just so much. On the newest Living Cookbook you can publish a cookbook to word and do what you want with it.

You can change the fonts too. I think it is under Tools > Options.

Like you I wondered what there was to store my stuff. I tried all that I could download for free and even paid for Big Oven. But still my favorite is Living Cookbook. It is really easy to copy and paste stuff from the internet, from a Word document or from scanned sheets of paper. Just copy and paste them then go to new recipe and click on the capture tab at the end. Then it is just a matter of highlighting the different parts and clicking the right button on the right side.

If you need more help let me know. Or as you said they have pretty good support.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl View Post
I used to use Mastercook, but got frustrated with it's "import" abilities. Granted, I did not have the most recent version, but I found it less than convenient.

So, recently, I went out and researched all of the ones I could find online. The top two contenders were Now You're Cooking and BigOven. I downloaded the trial of NYC and while it has lots of features, I found it to be very non-intuitive. I had a hard time figuring out how to make it do what I wanted.

By contrast, BigOven had almost all the same features, and is VERY intuitive. Very easy to use. Imported all my Mastercook recipes in just a couple of minutes, and importing from the Internet (which I do a lot) is a breeze. So that's the one I bought.

The differences between them are:
  • BigOven has a PDA function, useful for grocery shopping and so on. NYC doesn't.
  • NYC has a duplicate finder, BigOven doesn't. But according to BigOven's forums, it is on the list for a future version.
  • NYC creates web pages for you, BigOven doesn't. This wasn't a big deal for me.
I made a small Excel spreadsheet comparing about 15 different softwares when I was researching, showing prices, whether it has a demo or not, the various features and the url to check them out. If anybody would like a copy of that spreadsheet, just drop me a note and I'll send it to you. Might save a little time if you are currently shopping around.

Valerie

I am a BigOven user and wanted to update this with saying that there is now a remove duplicates option with BigOven. I have had this program for a couple of years. Updates to newer versions are included with the original purchase. When I was choosing a software program the most important at the time was that it would be Vista compatible since I new that my next computer would most likely have Vista. I can say now that it also works well with Vista. I use this program constantly.