Recipe 'StumbleUpon'-like Site Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pandacraze34

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I've recently come into the idea of creating a site around the idea of recipes. The concept would be a bit StumbleUpon-esque, as I found that the problem with recipe sites for me is that there are so many recipes out there, but I don't know about them unless it's featured on the site or I know about a particular dish. I'm thinking of creating a site where like in a cookbook, you can just flip to another recipe which'll feature a picture and you can decide from there if it looks good enough that you want to make it. This cookbook would also be linked to your preferences in your account (ie. if you're vegetarian, you'll only be shown vegetarian dishes). Along with that, I thought I would try playing with social media, so you can have friends on this site and see what they're cooking, in case you want to try out what they made too.

I was wondering if you guys would share your opinion on if you would try out a site like this. And even if not, what are some features in a traditional recipe site that you don't particularly like/needs improvement. What are things you want to see on a more innovative approach of a recipe site?

I've only come up with this idea fairly recently, but I'd love to gauge interest to see if I should go forth. :D

Thanks for the help!
Meg

It is a decent idea, but (and I hope this does not burst your bubble) there are many sites like this already. My favorite is Gojee - Welcome. I think if you make a good site though then there is nothing wrong with having more sites to choose from.

Welcome to the site.

Oh, I didn't know about that site! And this whole time, I've only used AllRecipes and Epicurious as my references. Thanks for letting me know about the site! Taking a look now-it's very user friendly and looks very convenient. I'll check it out more and see if I can think of ways to make my idea more unique! (Do you recommend any other sites?)

I have seen a lot like it as well as ipad/iphone apps that are all like that, but gojee is the only one I remember. What I really like about it is you can tell it what you dont like and it will exclude recipes that have those ingredients. The photos are also great. Gojee does not seem to have a ton of recipes though so if you could add a lot more recipes then they have then that would be a great thing for your site.

I was reading this and I decide to see if Google could help. It turns out, if you do a search for "Google recipes", it returns a Google search page for recipes and/or ingredients. I never knew about this. I reckon I am still in the back seat as far as technology goes.

Yea, I actually noticed that with Gojee, how they choose quality recipes, but only a select number of bloggers/cooks. I wanted to implement a levelling experience (haha this is all theoretical now, just to get all the ideas together), so everyone can post recipes, but the better ratings someone's recipe gets, the higher level they get too, so that can establish credibility. I guess AllRecipes kinda has something similar implemented. And because anyone can post recipes, there can be more selection (ideally assuming people will want to join the site). I don't know if Gojee regularly adds recipes, but it appears they have a more limited selection.

Haha, I agree with the pictures on that site, they look pretty amazing!

I'm not sure if Gojee does this, but I was thinking about having a search for if you have an ingredient at home that's about to get bad but you want to use it up before it's wasted. (ie. if you search sour cream in AllRecipes, it gives you recipes that have sour cream in the name, but you want a recipe that uses sour cream as an ingredient). Since you seem to have an account, do you know if Gojee does that? Or is that something you would even be interested in?

Yes you can select ingredients you want or and/or those you do not want and it will tailor the results based on what you pick.

Thanks for the help so far guys! :D

If you have any ideas on what you want in a recipe site that will help make your life easier or something, please share, and I'd love to see if there's anything I can implement.

Back
Top Bottom