Retro Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzyQ3

Washing Up
Do any of you have the 1959 "Pillsbury’s Best 1000 Recipes: Best of the Bake-Off Collection"? It is a collection of the recipes for the first ten years of the contest. It was printed with a laminated cover but also in a scarcer deluxe edition that has a linen-like cover and a pictorial dust jacket.

Just a few years later, in the late 60s, the bake-off contestants were allowed to use mixes, much to the chagrin of many. So this huge cookbook, filled with "from scratch" recipes for every type of dessert imaginable, plus some main dishes, has become something of a a cult classic, even more prized after this write-up on November 1.

The earlier editions of Joy of Cooking are hardly alone in popularity. Seems that the Pillsbury book is just one example among many of the retro books that our parents and grandparents grew up with and that we apparently find irresistible. Copies of Meta Givens' books, Mary Margaret McBride's "Encylopedia of Cooking, "Woman's Home Companion books, the "Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery," and others are in big demand.

Do you have any old cookbooks that you particularly cherish, either for the recipes or the sake of nostalgia?

Cookbook

My copy of Joy of Cooking has a copyright of 1931, 1936, 1941, 1943, 1946, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1964.

I hope it is not worth anything because I use it all the time. I bought it used for very little $.

my focus lately (when I pick up cookbooks) is the older editions, at least pre-60's. mainly because they have recipes that don't use mixes, although I've noticed that in the 60's they did use some store-bought mixes and canned foods.

Out of the ones they focused on in the article, I have "The Modern Family Cookbook" by Meta Given (1964), "Woman's Home Companion Cookbook" - given to me by my husband's Grandma (1943), "Helen Corbitt's Cookbook (1957), "The Boston Cooking-School Cookbook" by Fannie Merritt Farmer (1946).
My oldest cookbook (that's not a reprint version) is a 1909 edition of "Just for Two" by Amelie Langdon.

I'll be on the lookout for the Pillsbury one.

I love the Betty Crocker's 1961 New Picture Cookbook. Their are some great recipes in there but I most enjoy the graphics and little quips for it's entertaintment value. It gives me a peek into Americana when I was but a bitty toddler.

Back
Top Bottom