"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Thank you both, when I bust my leg 10 yrs ago I was confined to a wheel chair for months. That taught me a big lesson.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I have many recipes that would work for Michael. Should we start a thread to share some of those for his new book?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You sure have excellent communication skills now, Bolas. If you hadn't told us you were dyslectic I'd never have guessed.
Nor would I. My DH's mom fought with the school board when he finished kindergarten--the trustees decided he was "retarded and should attend special education classes." I wish the trustees were still around so he could send them a letter thanking them to let him attend "normal" school and that he could sign it with his name followed by all those initials he has earned the right to use...2 undergraduate degrees, 1 Master degree, and a Ph.D. He also has five patents. Instead of classifying him as "retarded," he should've been tested for giftedness.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
Cupcake

I like Chris's idea of starting a thread for recipes for Michael. When I set up house, I was given a Good Housekeeping Step by Step cookbook. The instructions were basic and the pictures ensured one could comprehend. Something like that would be good for a new reader who has cooking experience.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I like Chris's idea of starting a thread for recipes for Michael. When I set up house, I was given a Good Housekeeping Step by Step cookbook. The instructions were basic and the pictures ensured one could comprehend. Something like that would be good for a new reader who has cooking experience.
Kathleen--that would probably be a great sticky under each of the recipe categories! I gave my mom a 5-ingredients cookbook when her memory started to fail and she could still cook. Now my dad uses it because he never did learn to cook (when he isn't making something out of a box).
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #26
Head Chef

Oh, you guys are all so good!! Yep, I bet he would love some recipes from all of you.

I visited his little apartment yesterday--took him a coffeepot that I didn't use any more, and some longjohns/warm socks because he has to walk to work. His apartment is neat as a pin--table set for 4, with place mats (actually dish towels, folded to fit), closet all arranged--his few bits of clothing sorted by color and neatly folded.

My officemates and I decided that instead of giving each other presents this year, we would put the money together and give Michael a gift card--other folks in the courthouse are doing the same thing. He wants a little stereo--music is really important to him. And I know sometimes he has trouble buying groceries--I wonder if he is getting food stamps? Might be something to ask him.

He also wants to get a drivers license--but Michael doesn't read well. I used to work with adult literacy students, so after Christmas, I will ask him if I can help him study for his drivers test--seems like a perfect way to work on his reading skills. (And, we will do it after dinner at my house, so I can get some good food into him!)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

You folks are living the spirit of the season. You folks get a perfect 10!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass

He also wants to get a drivers license--but Michael doesn't read well. I used to work with adult literacy students, so after Christmas, I will ask him if I can help him study for his drivers test--seems like a perfect way to work on his reading skills. (And, we will do it after dinner at my house, so I can get some good food into him!)
Sparrowgrass, I have taken learning disabled students to get their licenses, there's an option to have the test read to them. Nowadays, it might even be computerized.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #29
Head Chef

Dawgie--I am more interesting in improving his reading skills than getting him thru the test! I figured that book might interest him more than getting out the Dr. Suess.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

where to put the simple recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Oh, you guys are all so good!! Yep, I bet he would love some recipes from all of you.

)
did someone start a Thread for simple recipes for Michael? I have a few that I would like to contribute.

Tags
cookbook