Simple ADULT cookbook for non-reader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparrowgrass

Head Chef
Piece of cake, right? We have a young man working at the courthouse who just got his first apartment. I know he can't read well, and I am looking for a cookbook for him. I know I can find a kid's cookbook, but he might be offended at one that was too childish.

Long ago, I worked with an adult literacy group, and I know there were some easy cookbooks with that material, but I don't know where to find single copies of a book like that.

Any ideas? (It doesn't have to be a book, per se. Single copies or printouts would work--we could put them together in a notebook.)

I don't have any cookbook ideas, but what about some recipes you think he may like? You could type them up on the computer and write them out really well, for example, instead of writing 1/3 of a cup, actually type it out - one third of a cup. I'm not sure what level of literacy he is at, but hope it helps.

Google 4 ingredient cookbook or recipes. They are about as easy as they come.

If you can provide a template and some ground rules I would type up a couple recipes and I am sure some of the others on DC would be willing to do the same.

That is sweet, Aunt Bea. I don't know exactly how literate he is--I may have to 'test' him a little.

Poor kid--I don't think he has ever had anything of his own, and he is always so tickled when we find him a thrift store pot or set of dishes--it is like Christmas morning. (I think we enjoy it more than he does!!)

sparrowgrass said:
Just ordered 4 ingredient cookbook from Abebooks.com. $3.75, which includes shipping!!

That is so sweet and caring of you, Sparrowgrass! I work with special needs kids, so wonderful when they can have an advocate as adults!

Last edited:
You're doing something more wonderful than you might even realize, Sparrowgrass! You are helping to open up a whole, new world for another human being for which there is no other path. Fighting illiteracy is very, very noble! Bless you.

Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens. Binder format, no more words than you need. Lays open on the counter.

If you're helping, each page can be removed, put in a "document protector". Now that I think of it, they could be used as lessons in a class.

Last edited:
I love this kid--20 years old, from a bad situation in St. Louis (guns, gangs). He has been living at a local boys home for 4 years, and he has aged out of that situation. He is working hard to make his way, and he has so many strikes against him. (Being black in a county that is 98% white is only one of them!!)

I have 2 sons of my own, and 4 or 5 of my sons' friends who call me their other Mom. I told Michael he was my first black son! He is teaching me black slang--I now know that if he says something I do is 'sick' it means he likes it. :LOL:
Now if I could just get him to pull his britches up. :dry:

My sis works with special needs young adults--I didn't even think of asking her. Her kids are little more. . . special ;) than Michael, but she might have something.

Last edited:
This may sound silly, but be sure he has and knows how to use measuring cups and spoons. In you can find the cups where you look down in instead of on the side to see the measurement, that might be easier for him too.

Yep--he came in the other day and told us all the stuff he has: 2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 cups, etc. I don't remember hearing anything about measuring cups.

One of the folks in my office brought in a muffin mix the other day and cooked them in the office toaster oven. I know he liked them, so I think I will buy him a box of that and whatever measuring utensils he needs to make them.

Small steps!

Boxed mixes are a great idea. I like the 4 ingredient cookbooks too! I have given those as gifts to several students of all abilities for graduation gifts from HS. They are great for many. Bless you!

This is not meant to gain sympathy, my schooling days up until I left at 15yrs old were quite hard. 15 yrs later I was diagnosed as being dyslexic, when I was in school I was classed as a retard because of my inabilities. My reading skills were poor my writing skills were very limited, my two brothers were "normal" and the friction this caused in my home life resulted in me leaving home at 15 yrs old.I was a very angry, frustrated and violent person.
With the help I received in later life I now can read quite well but my spelling and grammar are still poor. Spell checkers do help.
I wish I had had a sparrowgrass when I was a child, just someone who would listen and not judge.:)

You sure have excellent communication skills now, Bolas. If you hadn't told us you were dyslectic I'd never have guessed.

Bolas, I'm so glad you fought to overcome your disability! Way to go! This board is much richer for your participation. I'm proud of you!

Thank you for the kind comments.I love this period of my life, as a liberal I find it fantastic that society in general has washed away many of the social stigma's that caused so much heartache to both the person and his/her families.
In my case in later life it was harder to cover up my prob than to deal with it. The first step though is the tough.:)

I bought Michael a set of measuring cups and spoons--he was tickled, said he needed those!! It turns out that he is a pretty good cook all on his own, and enjoys cooking.

We are making a notebook for him with recipes from our kitchens.

Bolas, if not for your childhood and difficulties, you'd be less entertaining today, no? Especially with puns! Survival feels like a process, but is more about a destination.

We hope to see Michael one day here at the DC Forums, sparrowgrass.

Oh, I agree, it would be great to see him here some day.

Bolas, I can sympathize with being viewed as mentally handicapped when you're not. I had one teacher in grade school tell my mom that I wasn't capable of learning and that I was impossible to teach. Fortunately I had more supportive parents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom