"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Cook

Smile Slowcooker Recipe Cookbook Recommendation

Hello All. I want to buy a slowcooker recipe book and am looking for recommendations - I just want a good variety of recipes. All suggestions are welcome.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrova
Hello All. I want to buy a slowcooker recipe book and am looking for recommendations - I just want a good variety of recipes. All suggestions are welcome.
http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

This is a site I have used in the past. You might not want a whole cookbook but make one yourself from recipes you find.
I have a couple of cookbooks for the crockpot and there are just lots of recipes in them that I wouldn't bother to make.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrova
You might just want to check out your local library and see if they have anything and/or go to your local bookstore and just thumb through their cookbooks.

I've found cookbooks that some may recommend I don't always find appealing to my taste or my families tastes.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've been cooking with a crockpot since the early 1970s, which was just after Rival introduced the first crockpot, and have several crockpots in various sizes. I use them all the time.

I have a couple of crockpot cookbooks, but the one I love is one called Crockery Cookery by Mable Hoffman. It's the 1975 paperback edition and I have cooked nearly every recipe in the book. Many of them have become family favorites. My grown daughter even has a copy of that edition of the book and likes it as much as I do.

Mable Hoffman has published other newer editions of the book, but I don't like them as much as the older one. There's something very basic and old-fashioned about the 1975 edition. The newer ones seem to be a little "slicker" and a bit too modern for me.

I checked Amazon a few minutes ago and there's a copy of my book in "used" conditon for less than $2.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

do a search on google.com for crock pot recipes. you will find more than you can cook in a life time.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Cook

I'm constantly hunting for new slow cooker books. If you're at all into low carbing, I recently borrowed this book from my library: 200 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes by Dana Carpender. I tried several of the recipes and they were liked by me and my higher carb friends.

Maybe it's just me, but it bugs me when a slow cooker book has lots of recipes asking that you cook food before you put it into the slow cooker. I can understand the occassional meat searing, but when it comes to slow cooker, I'm more into dumping things in and then getting on with life. This book has plenty of dump-and-go recipes.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Cook

Thanks everyone. I don't mind a little pre-cooking expecially for meat. Have looked through the local bookstore, but not the library (it is seriously small). I tried google a while back but did not find a lot (will give it a go) and about.com is looking promising. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

I agree with you lawchick04 - if I have to bother getting pots & pans dirty, then I might as well just cook the darn meal on the stove. It's definitely "dump & go" for me too when I use my slow cooker.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Look for the "Fix It & Forget It" series of books.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Sous Chef

lawchick04 - I have to tell you that I agree with your opinions and advice. Katie E, I'm going to look up the info you provided!
I took out "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cook Book" from my local library, and found a whole bunch of recipes I could use. I liked it because many of the recipes did not call for pre-cooking or browning - I'm a busy, full time working mother of a family of 6 and I don't have time to be pre-cooking! I liked the book so much I bought it. It had recipes for appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. The book is written with hints and tips in a "chatty" style, which I love. It's like cooking with a friend.