"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook

thanks for all the responses... i also found one that looks good which no one mentioned - the Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Babrbecueing.

I will, however, agree with GB on the reviewer in question. I am put off by the tone of his review. Yes, it is HIS opinion, but this sounds like someone who enjoys hearing himself talk... his review is so long-winded and it includes off-tone remarks such as:

Quote:
"cooking over that open fire is part of attaining this glory, but it's still about the performance's end result. It's like a rooster doing his mating dance, or a canary singing his song"

"It's like pitching - if you have two incredible pitches that you have total control over, you're a god, you're Greg Maddux or Nolan Ryan or Mariano Rivera. If you have 12 okay ones, you're driving a milk truck somewhere."

"Unfortunately, trying to find three totally killer grill recipes in this book is like trying to find three pro-life delegates at the Democratic Party's National Convention - who knows if there even are any, and even if there are, who has the time to try to figure it which ones they are?"
this "review" - or should i say "essay" - is a little too charged for me to find helpful but I do take Ayrton's observations into consideration and perhaps an array of several smaller books will be my best approach.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I have the Cook's Illustrated book too, at least the older edition, not the new one. There's a fair amount of shortcutting going on. That's not automatically bad, but there are impacts in the food from it. Q is a long slow process. They also like more cumin than I like.

They're also devoted to the Weber style kettle grill and the covered gas grill. They don't work with true smokers. Well, maybe they do in the new one, I don't know as I don't have it.

But Raichlen mostly uses a huge kettle grill on his BBQ U show and it does work.

thymeless

Old 10-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
Senior Cook

If you ask because you are giving a gift... it will do nicely.

If you are learning to grill, it is very good. But I lke Smoke and Spice.

if you are learning to smoke... go on over to KC BBQ forum. Lurk for a awhile and then ask questions. They are the best. (aside from here of course). Go to:http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/index.html
Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
thanks for all the responses... i also found one that looks good which no one mentioned - the Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Babrbecueing.

I will, however, agree with GB on the reviewer in question. I am put off by the tone of his review. Yes, it is HIS opinion, but this sounds like someone who enjoys hearing himself talk... his review is so long-winded and it includes off-tone remarks such as:

this "review" - or should i say "essay" - is a little too charged for me to find helpful but I do take Ayrton's observations into consideration and perhaps an array of several smaller books will be my best approach.
What's important (and I hope I never lose sight of this, even in the middle of sparring with GB ) is that you're finding sources of information which seem to fit you. (It's actually very unfair of me to spend time reviewing the reviewer rather than the book. A book I haven't even read, yet!)

I suspect those who recommend a number of books as the best approach have the right idea. While I don't collect barbeque books per se, I do have a huge number of cake and cake decorating books since that's my hobby. And while each and every one's different, they all have added some little tidbit to my overall knowledge and I would be hard-pressed to choose just one.

So, my parting wish to this thread is: may the Gods of money be good to you and allow you to purchase many to curl up with as the winter winds approach!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
So, my parting wish to this thread is: may the Gods of money be good to you and allow you to purchase many to curl up with as the winter winds approach!
May your wishes come true!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, it is Stephen Reichlin's grilling book I have versus his BBQ Bible. I do all the cooking her and ALL the grilling and ALL the smoking - DH doesn't do a thing except help clean up the dishes IF there are a lot of them.

No offence taken - I said I would check out their book and I will.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Please consider "The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual" bu Smoky Hale,Abacus Publishing, McComb, Mississippi

Great basic info on grilling and barbecue techniques, recipies, etc. Not as comprehensive as the BBQ Bible, but a worthy read.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
By asking for the "best" that is very subjective. I have his book BBQ USA and have enjoyed many of the recipes. I think all books have their merits and downfalls based on your own personal likes and dislikes. Put together your own library a book at a time and try all the things that pique your interest. As for Steve's books I have really enjoyed them but to call them the best best is like saying blue is the best color.

JDP
Old 12-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
but to call them the best best is like saying blue is the best color.

JDP
But it is
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
But it is
Yeah, but what shade of blue?

JDP