So, is the Barbecue Bible the best book on barbecue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Raichlen Book

I received one of his books called the bible for a present from my daughter a few years back. I glanced thru the recipes and took it immediately to "Half Price Books a DFW book seller. What a waste of my daughter's money.

I did a little bit of reading...and a "whole heck of a lot"(thats southern for a bunch) of cooking...I was Valedictorian of my PH. B. class!!;)

I've never read the Barbecue Bible, so I shouldn't comment, but I have got "How to Grill". It's a spectacularly good and practical book.

Paulmack said:
I received one of his books called the bible for a present from my daughter a few years back. I glanced thru the recipes and took it immediately to "Half Price Books a DFW book seller. What a waste of my daughter's money.
Just curious...How did your daughter feel when you sold her present so shortly after getting it?

I can stand in the cooking section at most any bookstore and find a dozen good sounding books for grilling and barbeque. But the 2 that I have bought are both by Steven Raichlen: Barbeque Bible - Sauces, Rubs and Marinades, and How to Grill. Both are great books for recipes and for tips and techniques. :chef:

I have a 3rd one called Gas Grill Cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens. I received it as a gift and put it on the shelf with the rest of the the cookbooks, but I've never actually read it. :ermm:

Ayrton said:
(P.S. -- I am always suspicious of books that name themselves "bibles" ... just smacks of conceit to me. Call me difficult.)

As an aside, I read somewhere that Raichlen had no intention of naming his book of grilling recipes "The Barbecue Bible". He collected the international recipes from over 20 countries during a trip over several years. He wanted to share recipes that were very DIFFERENT from the traditional backyard BBQ fare. Someone, his publicist or his editor, slapped the title on the book and it took off.

The book is dreadfully misnamed, but is excellent if you are looking for out of the ordinary grilled dishes.

His "How to Grill" book and "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons both have my vote as two of the top how-to books, where the former deals more with hot, fast, grilling and the latter outlines how to cook low and slow barbecue.

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom