"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Senior Cook

So, is the Barbecue Bible the best book on barbecue?

So if you had to recommend a book on grilling and barbecueing, is this it: The Barbecue! Bible by Steven Raichlen

Those who have it, what can you tell me about it... any other great books on the subject?

Old 10-09-2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Sous Chef

For me and hubby it's "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Excellent book, highly rated (hit Amazon.com and read Marold's review). We produce some phenomenal ribs if I may say so, but thanks go to this book.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Every grilling book I love and would recommend. I would suggest you get the one you mentioned and also the one Ayrton mentioned. This will give you LOTS to go on. You can't have just ONE grillling book!!!! In all honesty though I'm a Steven Raichlen fan from way back. I will hit a bookstore though and check out the other one.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Sous Chef

No offense whatsoever meant to you, kitchenelf, however, after having just read a bit about the Raichlen (it's amazing what I can do on a Monday morning to avoid getting down to actual work ...) thinking perhaps I'd missed something great, I must admit I'm so put off by the first review I read that I'm back in here to blab on.

Seven S, I send you back to Amazon, this time to read one T. Bachman's review which is so sensible and intelligent and spot-on that I wouldn't even try to paraphrase. I just completely agree with what he's on about.

Good news is that while he finds "The Barbecue Bible" overkill, he does highly recommend a simpler book by Raichlen, namely "How To Grill," so without a doubt you'll have some good reading and barbequeing ahead of you with one or more of these guides!

(P.S. -- I am always suspicious of books that name themselves "bibles" ... just smacks of conceit to me. Call me difficult.)
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have the book, I like it. But...

BBQ is one of those things that there are as many books out there as there are opinions on what's right and wrong.

The book covers a great many things, it also leaves things out. There are things I follow closely, and things I do completely differently because of my smoker/grills.

Actually, if I had to recommend a BBQ, I would probably try to point people to the Virtual Weber Bullet site, and it's discussion forums, first!

I probably have about 8 BBQ books at the house, and I find they all offer something a bit different.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Seven S, I send you back to Amazon, this time to read one T. Bachman's review which is so sensible and intelligent and spot-on that I wouldn't even try to paraphrase. I just completely agree with what he's on about.
Since I have never read this book I can not give any first hand experiences from it, but T. Bachman's review does not hold much water as far as I am concerned.

The problems he mentions with the book are not what I would consider problems. This guy does not some like someone who enjoys cooking. This is evident from his statements such as
Quote:
Every time I crack open this book, it's like, "Hmmm....that looks pretty good, too bad it has 25 different ingredients, sounds complicated
Well I enjoy cooking and lots of ingredients is not a bad thing in my book. Complicated is not a bad thing either. Plus what one person considers complicated another would consider simple.
Quote:
Gee, I've never heard of these spices, and I'll never get around to mail-ordering them
This one just made me laugh. How hard is it to mail order spices? A lot of us here do it all the time and it is something we actually enjoy doing.
Quote:
Let's be honest: what matters most about doing a barbecue/grill is basically the admiration and glory a man receives by giving his guests a killer meal cooked over the more challenging heat source of open flame.
Talk about a male chauvinist statement. There are plenty of woman who BBQ too. I am a man and I can honestly say I am not looking for glory when I BBQ. I am simply looking to cook good food. What matters most in BBQ to me is no different than what matters most in sauteing or baking or anything else in the kitchen.
Quote:
This is why no guy ever barbecues only for himself, and why no guy ever wants help from his wife while he's doing his barbecue (less glory)
This is just completely bogus. I BBQ for myself plenty and I relish help from my wife.

I could continue to point out how I feel this review really is not one I personally would put any stock in, but I think I have made my point.

This is just for me though. That is the thing about reviews. Each person has to decide for themselves if that review is helpful for them or not. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only way to know if this book will be one you will like is to flip through it and see if anything jumps out at you.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I have Smoke & Spice & BBQ Bible.

Smoke & Spice is educational on technique. I don't think they did that well with flavor.

BBQ bible is just OK. I don't think it's good for the beginner.

Raichlen's book How to Grill, I consider a masterpiece. He teaches you how. He has pictures for every important point along the way. Flavor is pretty good. Paul Kirk's books do flavor better but I don't think he teaches as much about how to work with the equipment, the food and the spices.

thymeless
Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love Steve Raichlen, and his books are always informative, but I LOVE "The Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger... and also Weber's Big Book of Grilling, by Jamie Purviance. Those are definitely worth having in your library.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Since I have never read this book I can not give any first hand experiences from it, but T. Bachman's review does not hold much water as far as I am concerned.

The problems he mentions with the book are not what I would consider problems. This guy does not some like someone who enjoys cooking. This is evident from his statements such as Well I enjoy cooking and lots of ingredients is not a bad thing in my book. Complicated is not a bad thing either. Plus what one person considers complicated another would consider simple.
This one just made me laugh. How hard is it to mail order spices? A lot of us here do it all the time and it is something we actually enjoy doing.
Talk about a male chauvinist statement. There are plenty of woman who BBQ too. I am a man and I can honestly say I am not looking for glory when I BBQ. I am simply looking to cook good food. What matters most in BBQ to me is no different than what matters most in sauteing or baking or anything else in the kitchen.
This is just completely bogus. I BBQ for myself plenty and I relish help from my wife.

I could continue to point out how I feel this review really is not one I personally would put any stock in, but I think I have made my point.

This is just for me though. That is the thing about reviews. Each person has to decide for themselves if that review is helpful for them or not. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only way to know if this book will be one you will like is to flip through it and see if anything jumps out at you.
Well lawsy me, GB, this feels like an invitation! Swords or pistols? (And Alix made me swear on the bible to be a good girl while the moon's full ... )

Personally, I took those OTT male chauvanist statements to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, however ... I must say ... many men and women DO cook for admiration when they cook. Yes, yes, yes ... and for themselves, and for the delight of the guests, however, I still say a compliment from a guest is a very pleasurable thing and it's a bit of a fib to suggest it matters not.

As for the reviewer not liking complicated and therefore, by extension, not liking cooking, I can't agree simply because I LOVE to cook, but I also find complicated-looking recipes off-putting. More to the point, I find complicated barbeque recipes off-putting because I think good barbeque is about a few good ingredients and skilled technique.

Spices mail-ordered or otherwise obtained with extra effort? I think his point was just that IF (as seems to be the case with him) you don't enjoy that activity unto itself and would rather just get on with the barbequeing, it's again off-putting, a pain in the neck. For you on the other hand, it's clearly part of the overall pleasure.

"Plenty" of women who barbeque? When there's a man around? Really GB? Dang, I'm a card-carrying feminist and of course women are capable of barbequeing, but I personally have never known a household with a full-time man present where the woman does the barbequeing! (You "relish help from" your wife, for instance ... you mean you relish helping her as she barbeques, right? )

Cruisin' for a bruisin' ... I know. I'll stop.

Seven S? Still there?! Our esteemed admin (which you are, GB) got it right with his closing line, though. Only you can choose and flipping through the book's the way to go!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
...or, if you want a really fun vacation where you will learn a lot, take yourself to Steve Raichlen's Barbecue University at the Greenbrier. A beautiful place, and "beautiful" 'que!