So, is the Barbecue Bible the best book on barbecue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me and hubby it's "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Excellent book, highly rated (hit Amazon.com and read Marold's review). We produce some phenomenal ribs if I may say so, but thanks go to this book.

Every grilling book I love and would recommend. I would suggest you get the one you mentioned and also the one Ayrton mentioned. This will give you LOTS to go on. You can't have just ONE grillling book!!!! In all honesty though I'm a Steven Raichlen fan from way back. I will hit a bookstore though and check out the other one.

No offense whatsoever meant to you, kitchenelf, however, after having just read a bit about the Raichlen (it's amazing what I can do on a Monday morning to avoid getting down to actual work ...) thinking perhaps I'd missed something great, I must admit I'm so put off by the first review I read that I'm back in here to blab on.

Seven S, I send you back to Amazon, this time to read one T. Bachman's review which is so sensible and intelligent and spot-on that I wouldn't even try to paraphrase. I just completely agree with what he's on about.

Good news is that while he finds "The Barbecue Bible" overkill, he does highly recommend a simpler book by Raichlen, namely "How To Grill," so without a doubt you'll have some good reading and barbequeing ahead of you with one or more of these guides!

(P.S. -- I am always suspicious of books that name themselves "bibles" ... just smacks of conceit to me. Call me difficult.)

Last edited:
I have the book, I like it. But...

BBQ is one of those things that there are as many books out there as there are opinions on what's right and wrong.

The book covers a great many things, it also leaves things out. There are things I follow closely, and things I do completely differently because of my smoker/grills.

Actually, if I had to recommend a BBQ, I would probably try to point people to the Virtual Weber Bullet site, and it's discussion forums, first!

I probably have about 8 BBQ books at the house, and I find they all offer something a bit different.

John

Ayrton said:
Seven S, I send you back to Amazon, this time to read one T. Bachman's review which is so sensible and intelligent and spot-on that I wouldn't even try to paraphrase. I just completely agree with what he's on about.
Since I have never read this book I can not give any first hand experiences from it, but T. Bachman's review does not hold much water as far as I am concerned.

The problems he mentions with the book are not what I would consider problems. This guy does not some like someone who enjoys cooking. This is evident from his statements such as
Every time I crack open this book, it's like, "Hmmm....that looks pretty good, too bad it has 25 different ingredients, sounds complicated
Well I enjoy cooking and lots of ingredients is not a bad thing in my book. Complicated is not a bad thing either. Plus what one person considers complicated another would consider simple.
Gee, I've never heard of these spices, and I'll never get around to mail-ordering them
This one just made me laugh. How hard is it to mail order spices? A lot of us here do it all the time and it is something we actually enjoy doing.
Let's be honest: what matters most about doing a barbecue/grill is basically the admiration and glory a man receives by giving his guests a killer meal cooked over the more challenging heat source of open flame.
Talk about a male chauvinist statement. There are plenty of woman who BBQ too. I am a man and I can honestly say I am not looking for glory when I BBQ. I am simply looking to cook good food. What matters most in BBQ to me is no different than what matters most in sauteing or baking or anything else in the kitchen.
This is why no guy ever barbecues only for himself, and why no guy ever wants help from his wife while he's doing his barbecue (less glory)
This is just completely bogus. I BBQ for myself plenty and I relish help from my wife.

I could continue to point out how I feel this review really is not one I personally would put any stock in, but I think I have made my point.

This is just for me though. That is the thing about reviews. Each person has to decide for themselves if that review is helpful for them or not. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only way to know if this book will be one you will like is to flip through it and see if anything jumps out at you.

I have Smoke & Spice & BBQ Bible.

Smoke & Spice is educational on technique. I don't think they did that well with flavor.

BBQ bible is just OK. I don't think it's good for the beginner.

Raichlen's book How to Grill, I consider a masterpiece. He teaches you how. He has pictures for every important point along the way. Flavor is pretty good. Paul Kirk's books do flavor better but I don't think he teaches as much about how to work with the equipment, the food and the spices.

thymeless

I love Steve Raichlen, and his books are always informative, but I LOVE "The Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger... and also Weber's Big Book of Grilling, by Jamie Purviance. Those are definitely worth having in your library.:)

GB said:
Since I have never read this book I can not give any first hand experiences from it, but T. Bachman's review does not hold much water as far as I am concerned.

The problems he mentions with the book are not what I would consider problems. This guy does not some like someone who enjoys cooking. This is evident from his statements such as Well I enjoy cooking and lots of ingredients is not a bad thing in my book. Complicated is not a bad thing either. Plus what one person considers complicated another would consider simple.
This one just made me laugh. How hard is it to mail order spices? A lot of us here do it all the time and it is something we actually enjoy doing.
Talk about a male chauvinist statement. There are plenty of woman who BBQ too. I am a man and I can honestly say I am not looking for glory when I BBQ. I am simply looking to cook good food. What matters most in BBQ to me is no different than what matters most in sauteing or baking or anything else in the kitchen.
This is just completely bogus. I BBQ for myself plenty and I relish help from my wife.

I could continue to point out how I feel this review really is not one I personally would put any stock in, but I think I have made my point.

This is just for me though. That is the thing about reviews. Each person has to decide for themselves if that review is helpful for them or not. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only way to know if this book will be one you will like is to flip through it and see if anything jumps out at you.
Well lawsy me, GB, this feels like an invitation! Swords or pistols? (And Alix made me swear on the bible to be a good girl while the moon's full ...:angel: )

:boxing:Personally, I took those OTT male chauvanist statements to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, however ... I must say ... many men and women DO cook for admiration when they cook. Yes, yes, yes ... and for themselves, and for the delight of the guests, however, I still say a compliment from a guest is a very pleasurable thing and it's a bit of a fib to suggest it matters not.

:boxing: As for the reviewer not liking complicated and therefore, by extension, not liking cooking, I can't agree simply because I LOVE to cook, but I also find complicated-looking recipes off-putting. More to the point, I find complicated barbeque recipes off-putting because I think good barbeque is about a few good ingredients and skilled technique.

:boxing: Spices mail-ordered or otherwise obtained with extra effort? I think his point was just that IF (as seems to be the case with him) you don't enjoy that activity unto itself and would rather just get on with the barbequeing, it's again off-putting, a pain in the neck. For you on the other hand, it's clearly part of the overall pleasure.

:boxing: "Plenty" of women who barbeque? When there's a man around? Really GB? Dang, I'm a card-carrying feminist and of course women are capable of barbequeing, but I personally have never known a household with a full-time man present where the woman does the barbequeing! (You "relish help from" your wife, for instance ... you mean you relish helping her as she barbeques, right? :winkiss: )

Cruisin' for a bruisin' ... I know. I'll stop.:blush:

Seven S? Still there?! Our esteemed admin (which you are, GB) got it right with his closing line, though. Only you can choose and flipping through the book's the way to go!

Last edited:
...or, if you want a really fun vacation where you will learn a lot, take yourself to Steve Raichlen's Barbecue University at the Greenbrier. A beautiful place, and "beautiful" 'que! :)

thanks for all the responses... i also found one that looks good which no one mentioned - the Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Babrbecueing.

I will, however, agree with GB on the reviewer in question. I am put off by the tone of his review. Yes, it is HIS opinion, but this sounds like someone who enjoys hearing himself talk... his review is so long-winded and it includes off-tone remarks such as:

"cooking over that open fire is part of attaining this glory, but it's still about the performance's end result. It's like a rooster doing his mating dance, or a canary singing his song"

"It's like pitching - if you have two incredible pitches that you have total control over, you're a god, you're Greg Maddux or Nolan Ryan or Mariano Rivera. If you have 12 okay ones, you're driving a milk truck somewhere."

"Unfortunately, trying to find three totally killer grill recipes in this book is like trying to find three pro-life delegates at the Democratic Party's National Convention - who knows if there even are any, and even if there are, who has the time to try to figure it which ones they are?"
this "review" - or should i say "essay" - is a little too charged for me to find helpful but I do take Ayrton's observations into consideration and perhaps an array of several smaller books will be my best approach.

I have the Cook's Illustrated book too, at least the older edition, not the new one. There's a fair amount of shortcutting going on. That's not automatically bad, but there are impacts in the food from it. Q is a long slow process. They also like more cumin than I like.

They're also devoted to the Weber style kettle grill and the covered gas grill. They don't work with true smokers. Well, maybe they do in the new one, I don't know as I don't have it.

But Raichlen mostly uses a huge kettle grill on his BBQ U show and it does work.

thymeless

Last edited:
Seven S said:
thanks for all the responses... i also found one that looks good which no one mentioned - the Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Babrbecueing.

I will, however, agree with GB on the reviewer in question. I am put off by the tone of his review. Yes, it is HIS opinion, but this sounds like someone who enjoys hearing himself talk... his review is so long-winded and it includes off-tone remarks such as:

this "review" - or should i say "essay" - is a little too charged for me to find helpful but I do take Ayrton's observations into consideration and perhaps an array of several smaller books will be my best approach.

What's important (and I hope I never lose sight of this, even in the middle of sparring with GB :rolleyes:) is that you're finding sources of information which seem to fit you. (It's actually very unfair of me to spend time reviewing the reviewer rather than the book. A book I haven't even read, yet!)

I suspect those who recommend a number of books as the best approach have the right idea. While I don't collect barbeque books per se, I do have a huge number of cake and cake decorating books since that's my hobby. And while each and every one's different, they all have added some little tidbit to my overall knowledge and I would be hard-pressed to choose just one.

So, my parting wish to this thread is: may the Gods of money be good to you and allow you to purchase many to curl up with as the winter winds approach!:)

Well, it is Stephen Reichlin's grilling book I have versus his BBQ Bible. I do all the cooking her and ALL the grilling and ALL the smoking - DH doesn't do a thing except help clean up the dishes IF there are a lot of them.

No offence taken - I said I would check out their book and I will.

Please consider "The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual" bu Smoky Hale,Abacus Publishing, McComb, Mississippi

Great basic info on grilling and barbecue techniques, recipies, etc. Not as comprehensive as the BBQ Bible, but a worthy read.

By asking for the "best" that is very subjective. I have his book BBQ USA and have enjoyed many of the recipes. I think all books have their merits and downfalls based on your own personal likes and dislikes. Put together your own library a book at a time and try all the things that pique your interest. As for Steve's books I have really enjoyed them but to call them the best best is like saying blue is the best color.

JDP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom