Software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Oven for years but switched to Paprika

Good recipe manager, inexpensive, makes recipe capture from a browser very easy and allows all those extras like nutrition, shopping list etc.can also import from most major cooking programs (except Big Oven)
I'm a pc guy and when Big Oven stopped supporting and wanted me to upload my thousands of recipe to the cloud which I then couldn't access without a subscription...well that killed it for me.

Microsoft OneNote - can send to from websites which will automatically give you a track back URL so you can revisit the original site. You always know where the recipe came from. Fully searchable using any keyword (title or ingredient etc). I have it set up on a secondary storage hard drive on my desktop PC on the network and open a copy notebook on my laptop. It automatically syncs and backs up every time new content is added and on the network. So my recipes are accessible from any computer on my network and will be synced whenever the destination copy is available.

Last edited:
If all you want to do is organize your exiting recipes on your computer, you don't need a special application.

Create a folder labeled RECIPES. Within that folder, create folders for the food categories you want, MEATS, SEAFOOD, DESSERTS, SAUCES, etc.

This is what I do. I type recipes in RTF format so the documents can be pulled up on a Mac or a PC.

RTF program is Text Edit on a Mac or Note Pad on a PC.

I save to both a flash drive and to DropBox. There's over 800 recipes in there so I do double back ups.

This is what I do. I type recipes in RTF format so the documents can be pulled up on a Mac or a PC.

RTF program is Text Edit on a Mac or Note Pad on a PC.

I save to both a flash drive and to DropBox. There's over 800 recipes in there so I do double back ups.

Thanks for replying.

My RECIPES folder, created in August 2016, contains 63 sub folders and 1409 files. But unlike others who posted, I was unable to search for ingredients without the procedures I listed.

Even so, I stopped doing this when my interest waned. I was surprised to see a response after so long.

I appreciate what has been said. This thread is still alive after many years! I am looking for a cookbook software that will generate shopping lists, shop for foods that have certain ingredients AND one that will offer nutritional help using the FDA's huge database...also want it to work in Android. I don't ask for much, now, do I? I want to find an inexpensive 8" android tablet and keep it in the kitchen to help with timers, conversions, recipes, shopping, calendering,etc. home organization.

I appreciate what has been said. This thread is still alive after many years! I am looking for a cookbook software that will generate shopping lists, shop for foods that have certain ingredients AND one that will offer nutritional help using the FDA's huge database...also want it to work in Android. I don't ask for much, now, do I? I want to find an inexpensive 8" android tablet and keep it in the kitchen to help with timers, conversions, recipes, shopping, calendering,etc. home organization.
Living Cookbook does everything you want and more - except for the Android part [emoji2]

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/home/best-cookbook-and-recipe-software/living-cookbook-review/

Back
Top Bottom