Southwest Slow Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahWoehr

Assistant Cook
My family and I are Mexican food fiends. So when I found this cookbook while on a recent vacation, I grabbed it. While I've yet to try out the other recipes, we've gotten hooked on the chile verde recipe. :chef:

If you're curious, check out what others have said about this book on Amazon.

What are the ingredients in the Chili Verde recipe, Deborah?

You don't violate copyright laws if you just list ingredients.

Is it made in a crockpot?

Lee

Hi, Lee!

Yes, this is made in a crock pot. Okay, the ingredients are:

2 lbs of cubed pork
1 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
15 green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Sour cream

Oh yum! Looks great!
(fellow mexican food fiend here!)

Bet it would be fabulous topped with some avo slices too!

Hi, jkath!

You know, I looked at the avocados when I was in the store a bit ago. But I wasn't sure if my guests like them. I'm fixing this tomorrow for the 4th.

You're welcome. I usually get the pre-cut cubed pork because it saves prep time. But it wasn't available tonight (blaming the holiday), so I got boneless chops instead. There's less fat, which may or may not be good for the overall taste.

Speaking of saving prep time, did you buy cans of green chilis? I love roasted chili peppers but find them a pain to prepare.

Most everyone I know loves perfectly ripe avocadoes. You could offer the slices on a platter (squeezed with a little lemon juice so they don't brown) and let those who love them help themselves.

The chili verde sounds great!

Lee

DeborahWoehr said:
Hi, Lee!

Yes, this is made in a crock pot. Okay, the ingredients are:

2 lbs of cubed pork
1 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
15 green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Sour cream

OH MY GOD This is so good, I made it today and should have made tripple because I let the neighbors try it too. It didn't even make it into a shell of any kind they just ate it UP!! I used the can chiles also(2 cans) I will add more info later, I'm on my way out.

I can testify this is a great dish. I make it frequently. For the Chilies, if you dont have access to fresh and roast them yourself- use several small cans of green chilies... El Paso or victoria, or hatch... all about the same. The more the merrier. 4 small cans does the job at my house.

I also recommend The Green Tobasco in the pot too. To taste- for me that about half a bottle.

Chile Verde is great on scrambled eggs....

I enjoy making beef machaca in a crock pot.
For the crock:
Boneless chuck roast
quartered onion
garlic cloves
tsp salt
black peppercorns (maybe 8-10?)
about 1 cup water

Cook on low for 6-10 hours or until the beef is tender and will pull with a fork.

When the beef is finished cooking, drain and cool. Trim any excess fat, etc., from the beef.
Shred beef with forks or using your hands and place back in crock with diced green chillies and diced tomato along with cumin powder, salt and pepper to taste. You can also add salsa in lieu of tomato. Adding more onion and/or garlic is fine as well.
Serve in tortillas as tacos, enchiladas, burritos, chimis, etc.

I think I'll try your filling for my next batch of flautas -
I like to dip the flour tortillas quickly into hot oil (just a couple of seconds, to get them pliable), then I put a line of filling on them & roll up, securing with a couple of toothpicks. Then I lay them on a cookie sheet and bake till golden. Top with some guac & a small dollop of sour cream & voila! dinner!

Back
Top Bottom