Strange instruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I was reading a cookbook tonight from which I really want to make some of the recipes. The recipes often ask for "2 cups of rice, precooked." I don't know if that means to cook two cups of rice (which would become four) or 2 cups of cooked rice. It's just an odd way to put it. What do you think?

2 cups of finished cooked rice isn't that much a quantity, so maybe they mean 2 cups of rice uncooked to start with?

Last edited:
I was reading a cookbook tonight from which I really want to make some of the recipes. The recipes often ask for "2 cups of rice, precooked." I don't know if that means to cook two cups of rice (which would become four) or 2 cups of cooked rice. It's just an odd way to put it. What do you think?

You're right. It's badly written.

But you should be able to figure out what is meant from the context of the recipe.

I'm guessing they mean two cups of cooked rice.

I agree. Two cups of cooked rice. The word 'precooked' in the recipe is a strong indicator.

When I write out recipes, I would say Leftover or Already cooked. Not precooked.

I would interpret that as using rice that has been cooked before adding to the recipe. Also, the other instructions in that recipe would be a good indicator of clearing up the poorly written instruction. I'm usually lucky figuring that rice will at least double when cooked. I might even consider that a recipe to use when I have left over rice. I'm fond of plan-overs.

"precooked" means "already cooked."
pre = before
cooked = cooked

Where's the confusion?

I would think that it meant 2 cups of cooked rice, but would also look to see how many servings the recipe made as a clue.

Back
Top Bottom