The Good Cook book club......Has anyone done this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
Hi.......

I saw an ad for this (cookbook/cooking) book club in a magazine and then just checked out their website www.thegoodcook.com . I read through the information and it all seemed standard when compared to other book and music clubs.

Before I go ahead and do it, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

thanks!

It's an absolutely fantastic way to buy cookbooks - you get the 4 for $1 deal, or whatever (you still have to pay shipping), then get an offer to buy another book at 1/2 price, and then buy 1 more book in a year to complete your membership. I'll bet I've done that cycle a dozen times, and gotten top notch, expensivo cookbooks for next to nothing.

You do have to be sharp, and fill out the 'I don't want this month's selection; when it comes, tho.

Another great ordering source is Jessica's Biscuit at www.ecookbooks.com
They've got the most complete selection of new and 'classic' books i've ever seen, and have great prices and sales.

runninduo, please refer to the Shameless Self Interest Topic elsewhere on Gen Chat. I've been a member of this book club for a while now and have obtained several good deals.

My Aunt gave me a catalog for them .. and I've been looking it over and wondering it it was a good geal or not. But, if marmalady and mudbug say it's legit ... I might just have to join.

i wouldn't do that. it's just not wise to sign up for something like that. go to the book store or the library, i say!

It's not a bad deal, especially if you don't have a decent bookstore nearby. Basically, it's the same procedure as BOMC (Book of the Month
Club) - catalogue comes with selection identified, you either decide to buy selction or other book(s) or decline; otherwise automatically selection is sent to you. Various sales and discounts throughout the year. You can do everything over the phone or the Internet if you prefer.

Thanks all!

I joined. When I was younger, I did the Columbia House music club several times and this seems the same. The fact that others here have done it assures me that it's legit.

I ordered 4 books. One book counted as two selections and I did the 1/2 off deal. So, for 4 cookbooks, I'm paying $27 and change (including shipping). Not a bad deal. It would have been well over $100 at a regular book store.

I've been wanting to get books that not only explain the "How to", but also the "why" and i think these books will do that.

I got......

1. Secrets of Baking
2. Here in America's Test Kitchen
3. How to be a Domestic Goddess (this counted as 2, I assume b/c it's so popular)
4. Bread Made Easy

I can't wait to get my books! I hope my husband doesn't get pissed at me. I've bought so many cookbooks in the last year or so.

Thanks all for your advice!

Let me add that I used to do this - back in the "good ol' days when you could get 6 cookbooks for $1.00 :-( That was at least 22 years ago so they have been around for awhile. They are perfectly legit.

They will send you the featured (either 1 or 2 cookbooks, can't remember) if you don't get your card in saying you don't want them. BUT what you can do is call the company and tell them that you only want to order and not be automatically shipped if you don't get your card in on time. They will be glad to do that.

It's a great way to gain a great cookbook collection - that is how I got a lot of mine.

The Good Cook

runninduo said:
Hi.......

I saw an ad for this (cookbook/cooking) book club in a magazine and then just checked out their website www.thegoodcook.com . I read through the information and it all seemed standard when compared to other book and music clubs.

Before I go ahead and do it, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

thanks!

I've been with this club for several years and have save a lot of money with it. I like the mag they send and each envelope has a recipe from one of the books. Yes I recommend it to any ony planning on buying several cookbooks, also a good place for international titles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom