The Professional Chef Book. Is it worth the $$$?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recently got it as a gift and would highly recommend.

Very replete reference material. As an earlier poster mention, it's just as much of a textbook as a recipe book.

I bought it at Costco a few months ago, and decided I would work my way through cover to cover. I have gotten through the first 325 pages and am now finally into the cooking instruction and recipes. It's been pretty interesting so far, but I am ready to get into the recipes!

I did the same thing, cover to cover. Then I cooked the "example recipes" that are shown step by step in photos which teach the "technique" of the section. Then I went through and made a list of all the recipes I wanted to investigate myself. Still working through that list...

The first actual cooking sections start with stocks, sauces, and soups which is perfect for someone starting off. The stocks are essentials for at least 75% of the recipes. Once you learn the stocks/sauces you can pretty much make anything into an amazing dish.

I have two big 22qt pots of Chicken stock and Veal stock going as I speak. Still have healthy supplies of brown chicken, brown veal, and fish stock in the ice box (along with some veal and chicken demi's).

Just remember that many of the recipes aren't the ultimate versions. They teach excellent techniques with the walk-throughs, but when I try to nail down a dish I use the CIA recipes as a reference to begin my research rather than THE definitive source. Usually ethnic/regional cookbooks that focus entirely on the dish/cuisine you're attempting offer even better recipes and tips for a given interest. But the CIA text is certainly the book I reach for first before digging deeper.

It's great book if you already have an understanding of cooking. If you don't, I seriously recommend "Cooking for Dummies". Out of curiosity, I browsed through it at Borders the other day and it's really a good book for a beginning cook.

I'd disagree that beginning cooks should pass over TPC. It's a textbook as much as a cookbook, and is actually one of the best books to start off with because it teaches cooking techniques, and not just recipes. Afterall, it's what cooks start off with at the CIA (many of whom have little/no experience cooking, some having only been on the service side of the industry).

Beginning cooks should take the time to carefully read the first couple hundred pages of the book which go into detail in regards to sanitation, kitchen tools, safety, ingredient identification, and basic cooking terminology. From there they can begin by making stocks, sauces, and progress through soups, stews, braises, roasting, sautees, steaming, poaching, etc.

I remember the first spark that ignited my passion for cooking. I was six years old and watched a family member drop minced onions into a hot pot (we made American Chop Suey that day). I started watching shows and reading books when I was 8-10yrs old, and bought my first 8" CK with paper route dough. Up until I discovered The Professional Chef I really had no "foundation" to work from... I just had a box of recipes, notes, and some recorded cooking shows of "Great Chefs", Martin Yan, Julia Child, Graham Kerr, and all the other pre-Food.TV programming. I really wish I had discovered TPC sooner.

That said, it does take time to read through an 1100 page book, and like riding a bike, you have to practice at first (with some scrapes and bruises along the way). But if you're seriously interested in learning the fundamentals of almost all western cuisine, it's tough to go wrong with TPC. From strong roots spring great trees. ;)

I agree about the quality of the Dummie book(s) but find I can't get past the name. Somehow the name makes me feel like I am a dummie. I may be but perhaps too egotistical to admit it by being seen with the book.

The ones I have looked thru are consistently a good place to start learning about an unknown subject .

Wow, this thread has been about for a bit.

First, I love the Dummies books and own many. They are great from taking me from little or very basic knowledge to making me feel comfortable about a subject and leading me to understand more advanced books.

They teach me the language, if you will, of a subject and the basic principles I need to know to delve further into the subject. And they do it fast and pleasantly.

Have not purchased the cooking one though. Not that I could not learn something from it, just too many darn books, particularly cookbooks, about here.

Purchased TPC 8th, have the 5th, and I understand what everyone says about the text book utility of of the approach for the non-student.

Wish I could have spent some time learning cooking in an orderly fashion but it was an at the stove training, with no one to guide me. Just a home cook so the tutorials came from books, TV (starting with Julia), advice from others, and the old trial and error.

Certainly not the most efficient way to learn.

Admire and envy anyone who has the discipline and time to start at page one and plow all the way through. I do not.

But I still love the book and like to read it, but usually open to a place and wind up reading here and there.

That is not what the tome was written for, but it all I can handle.

Nicholas Mosher said:
I'd disagree that beginning cooks should pass over TPC. It's a textbook as much as a cookbook, and is actually one of the best books to start off with because it teaches cooking techniques, and not just recipes. Afterall, it's what cooks start off with at the CIA (many of whom have little/no experience cooking, some having only been on the service side of the industry).

Beginning cooks should take the time to carefully read the first couple hundred pages of the book which go into detail in regards to sanitation, kitchen tools, safety, ingredient identification, and basic cooking terminology. From there they can begin by making stocks, sauces, and progress through soups, stews, braises, roasting, sautees, steaming, poaching, etc.

I remember the first spark that ignited my passion for cooking. I was six years old and watched a family member drop minced onions into a hot pot (we made American Chop Suey that day). I started watching shows and reading books when I was 8-10yrs old, and bought my first 8" CK with paper route dough. Up until I discovered The Professional Chef I really had no "foundation" to work from... I just had a box of recipes, notes, and some recorded cooking shows of "Great Chefs", Martin Yan, Julia Child, Graham Kerr, and all the other pre-Food.TV programming. I really wish I had discovered TPC sooner.

That said, it does take time to read through an 1100 page book, and like riding a bike, you have to practice at first (with some scrapes and bruises along the way). But if you're seriously interested in learning the fundamentals of almost all western cuisine, it's tough to go wrong with TPC. From strong roots spring great trees. ;)

Unless people are really interested in HOW things work, they won't like The Professional Chef. The majority of people don't want to know the how and the why, they just want to be able to do something quickly and they could really care less about the process. That's just how people in general are. And not just the average joe. I'm talking about cooks in the industry, people that I speak with or try to teach things to, and former classmates in culinary school. Nick, from your posts anyone can tell that you're interested in the entire process and what makes it work. But remember that you are the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:
TPC isn't like reading "On Food and Cooking". Anyone can open to the chapter "Stocks", and see step by step pictures with big numbers guiding them through the process. It's an excellent place for people to begin, refresh, and review.

I think Anthony Bourdain said it best, "This is the mothership for recipes and basic culinary techniques", along with Paul Bocuse, Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken (Two Hot Tamales), Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman, Eric Ripert, etc., etc. I know that it made a big difference in my cooking for sure.

I noticed in another one of your posts you said...
ironchef said:
"I firmly believe that anyone, beit cooks in the industry, home cooks, etc. should have a firm grip on the basics of any type of cuisine before they start improvising or else they have absolutely no foundation whatsoever. I mean, it's cool and all if you can make a white asparagus-truffle foam but if you can't make a basic beurre blanc or hollandaise then you're pretty much worthless."
I wouldn't say the person is worthless, just that they haven't found a book like TPC which would offer them the fundamental techniques of cooking (along with kitchen safety, what different tools look like and how to use them, along with pictures and descriptions of ingreidents). It has expanded information in tables and what not for those who want to learn more, but it doesn't get much more simple than the step-by-step photos they include for each cooking technique. After following the directions (and photos) for chicken stock people can turn the page and see ingredient lists (using the same exact technique) for other stocks (like white veal). Then using their stock they can follow step by step photos to make a killer Veloute in the next section on sauces. Then they can use the veloute skills to produce an amazing Blanquette de Veau, Beef Stew, Pan Gravy, Pot Pie filling, etc. As I'm sure you know it's the simple stocks and sauce techniques (along with basic cooking methods) from which almost every dish springs forth or is finished. This book teaches those basic techniques rather than just provide a list of recipes. I think that makes it a perfect companion to someone just starting out.

Haven't checked out the Dummy book, but I own a bunch of them. I like some of them, but others were a waste of cash. It all depends on who they get as the technical advisor. Guitars for Dummys is an excellent book that I started out with. Auto maintenance for dummys that I looked at for some relatives is a complete waste of paper dedicating an entire section on cleaning a points style ignition - something I'm willing to bet the majority of our vehicles don't require... :LOL:

Anyhoo, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

The book can get a little technical for the novice cook but its a great reference book. Larousse, hey what can I say GREAT book unfortunately I do not have it yet. I would suggest Shirley O Corrihers book "Cookwise" for a novice just starting out in the kitchen has recipes and explains how and why things work the way they do. But bottom line TPC and Larousse are well worth the money.

If any of you subscribe to, or can find a copy of the current Saveur magazine (which I ADORE!!) "Special Issue", they have an interesting 2-page book review of The Professional Chef (Pages 22 & 23).

While it sounds interesting, for $75 I don't think it will end up in my kitchen.

It was the main text we used at my recent Boot Camp. GET IT!!! Yes, you will have to do some basic conversions, but absolutely worth getting and using.

I was bought the 7th edn for my 21st and use it all the time. The measurements are all for huge quantities but it is a wonderful book even if only for the massive range of techniques and essential knowledge it teaches.

Buy it, you' won't regret it.

Cookbooks tend to fall into one of two categories - collections of recipes, and books that teach you something about cooking and use the recipes as illustrations of the cooking techniques.

This book falls into the latter category ... would definitely be worth having.

Michael in FtW said:
Cookbooks tend to fall into one of two categories - collections of recipes, and books that teach you something about cooking and use the recipes as illustrations of the cooking techniques.

Absolutely agree. I have bought three editions, as they get beat up or missing in a kitchen. I can't believe it is so cheap. If it is as good as previous editions, at 75 or 100 it would still be worth it.

One basic reason is that the recipes and techniques are tested, and work without fail.

He said it best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom