"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion - by Regan Daley

This book has 700 pages. It offers a vast wealth of information, extensive and thorough. Huge resource of baking ingredients, tools, bakewares, techniques, and recipes.

Just for eggs, she went on for 16 pages.

I love it. If I could own only one baking book, this would be the one.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion - by Regan Daley

This book has 700 pages. It offers a vast wealth of information, extensive and thorough. Huge resource of baking ingredients, tools, bakewares, techniques, and recipes.

Just for eggs, she went on for 16 pages.

I love it. If I could own only one baking book, this would be the one.

I'll have to check that one out...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
Master Chef

The Settlement Cook Book is one that you don't hear much about these days. It is an interesting resource for all sorts of great recipes that early immigrants brought to this country and adapted to what was available here. It has been updated and reissued many times since it was first published in 1901.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm

Oh Dawgluver I'm so glad to hear that. I just ordered that cookbook from Second Time Around for $4. It's on its way, now I'm REALLY excited about getting it!
You will love it, Foodstorm!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I enjoyed the basic recipes found in the Foxfire books. Not many recipes, but a good read.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I remember a college roommate making amazing falafel from the Moosewood cookbook. Does that sound right? It was Moose-something.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I enjoyed the basic recipes found in the Foxfire books. Not many recipes, but a good read.

foxfire--is that the same thing as the whole earth catalog we used to read?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Plus one for the Settlement Cookbook, Aunt Bea.

Two that I like are a sort of series, although they are stand alone cookbooks when published.

The first is Favorite ____ Recipes of Home Economics Teachers, Cassseroles, Salads, Desserts, Holidays, Meat, Main Menu etc. I suppose they published one a year as school fund raisers, and Teachers from across the country submitted a recipe(s) and got their name/ location and school noted at the bottom of each recipe. 1000's of recipes, many similiar or variations. Both the Salads and Desserts Books have A Whole Chapter of Jello recipes!! Spiral Bound. 1960's or 70's.

The other ones I like were published by the Magazine, Farm Journal.
FJ's Country Cookbook, FJ Family Favorites, other titles, AND TaDa-- The FJ Complete Pie Cookbook. late 1960's/ early 70's. The magazine no longer is published nor the cookbooks. Available on Amazon, EBay used bookstores and garage sales.

I also like finding regional cookbooks if / when I go traveling. I have 2 from Kentucky. The 2nd even references the first, even though they are printed 40 years apart. I like looking for cookbooks at garage sales and used bookstores. And Estate sales. And what's on Friends bookshelves, I consider that ok to look at, it's not quite the same as snooping in their medicine cabinet. Well, I wouldn't, but you know somebody does, because things get re-arranged in my own from time to time.

A cookbook I am Looking for is James Beard -- Beard on Bread. Out of Print. Yes, I could go direct to Amazon, except part of the fun is in the Chase.

Fred
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
foxfire--is that the same thing as the whole earth catalog we used to read?
It is this set of Books:

Amazon.com: The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living (9780385073530): Eliot Wigginton: Books
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
LOL!!! You hit that nail right on the head! Twice. It's the reason I usually avoid the church & organization books.

Most of the older books didn't have many pictures. They were just a collection of recipes, and you had to picture it yourself. I think the old standbys like Betty Crocker and Good Housekeeping are greatly underappreciated today. If they had a pic of every recipe, they'd get a lot more use.
I have a GH that is falling apart. It is my 'go to' cookbook. My daughter has her name on it. She loves to read all my notes in the margins. I got it at a yard sale. I wish I still had my first husband's copy of the original Joy of Cooking. He had several books that were used in his culinary school days. Including The Art of French Cooking by JC. Both volumes.

Tags
cookbooks