"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sure!

Play Doh

3 c. Flour, 1 c. Salt, 1 T. Alum

Add enough water to these ingredients to give it a good working consistency. Food coloring may be added and this will store in covered containers for several days.
I remember making that in the fourth grade to make a map of the US with mountains, lakes, etc. We could use the map in our geography book to see the mountains, and deserts, etc. It was a fun project. Then we got to hand paint it if we wanted to. Of course I had to show off and paint mine.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
First of all, yes, that is the cookbook. It is where my husband learned to make pasta and I learned to make pesto. I don't think I've lost it, I have hundreds of cook books and it is one I'd least be likely to part with.

Secondly, thank you for the hint about disappearing text. I wrote it down and I'm sure I'll use it. I just wish I knew what I was doing to make this happen.
Control X makes your work disappear. You think you are holding down the shift and it is the Control key and you are hitting the X while you do that. I have a whole 10 page document from Windows that gives you all the commands on the keyboard. I learned computers when there were two 'floppy' disks. The left one had the program on it, and you entered your typing on the left one A&B. You had to type in all your commands. If you wanted a new paragraph, you had to type the command. Just hitting "Enter" didn't do the job. Unfortunately when you were being timed for the strokes, typing in those commands didn't count.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #43
Master Chef

Control X makes sense. I could simply have my fingers on the wrong keys and do it then (when I mean to be, say, doing a capital S).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Radcliff College for Women in Boston (Harvard's College for Women before they went coed) has a humongous collection of cookbooks. You are allowed to read some of them, but a lot of them you have to wear cotton gloves. Some of them go back to the 15th Century. Want to know how to cook a swan? They have the book with the recipe for that. Wart hogs and other exotic animals from Africa? Yup.They have that also. I wonder if they have one on how to cook a missionary?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Control X makes sense. I could simply have my fingers on the wrong keys and do it then (when I mean to be, say, doing a capital S).
That Control key does a lot. And so does the Alt. That one gives you all the strange symbols and weird uppercase numbers, etc. Alt and 0186 will give you the degree symbol. Just thought you might like to know. Open up a blank Windows document and experiment.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion - by Regan Daley

This book has 700 pages. It offers a vast wealth of information, extensive and thorough. Huge resource of baking ingredients, tools, bakewares, techniques, and recipes.

Just for eggs, she went on for 16 pages.

I love it. If I could own only one baking book, this would be the one.
Yay! I added this to my Amazon wish list in Nov. and rec'd it as a holiday gift, just haven't had time yet to "dig in." I'm looking forward to it!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I I wish I still had my first husband's copy of the original Joy of Cooking. He had several books that were used in his culinary school days. Including The Art of French Cooking by JC. Both volumes.
Joy of Cooking was my most often used cookbook before the Internet, that and the Sunset Magazine cookbook series (have about a dozen of them of them).

I purchased JC's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and I sometimes forget that it's volume 1. A few years ago I shopped volume 2 and decided it was just too pricey for me (out of print). I've just noticed last week that there's a new box set of both volumes, and a March 2011 new edition of volume 2 about $30, very dear but maybe in my budget.

Among my favorite possessions are the many classic cookbooks I have, in hard cover. I get more use out of these books than any other books I own. I can't see how the Internet will ever replace owning cookbooks like these.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm View Post
Yay! I added this to my Amazon wish list in Nov. and rec'd it as a holiday gift, just haven't had time yet to "dig in." I'm looking forward to it!
Hey, once you get started, please come up and share your thoughts about it! This book is like an encyclopedia, but only longer and with more details... I saw on Amazon that some readers consider it too much, for example, the author spends a whole paragraph on a simple step like "sifting all the dry ingredients"... But I found that kind of elaborateness quite fascinating, and I do feel her passion about baking through these.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That Control key does a lot. And so does the Alt. That one gives you all the strange symbols and weird uppercase numbers, etc. Alt and 0186 will give you the degree symbol. Just thought you might like to know. Open up a blank Windows document and experiment.

addie, what keys do you type to produce the degrees symbol again? nothing happened when i pressed alt and 0186. i must have missed something. what is a blank windows document?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #50
Executive Chef

I enjoy reading Giuliano Bugialli's Italian cookbooks.

Tags
cookbooks