Unappreciated cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire, is this it? Amazon.com: The Romagnolis' Table: Italian Family Recipes (9780316755627): Margaret Romagnoli: Books

Also, whenever you hit a key and your typing disappears, just do CTRL-Z to bring it back (that's UNDO). It should work in most ways.

First of all, yes, that is the cookbook. It is where my husband learned to make pasta and I learned to make pesto. I don't think I've lost it, I have hundreds of cook books and it is one I'd least be likely to part with.

Secondly, thank you for the hint about disappearing text. I wrote it down and I'm sure I'll use it. I just wish I knew what I was doing to make this happen.

First of all, yes, that is the cookbook. It is where my husband learned to make pasta and I learned to make pesto. I don't think I've lost it, I have hundreds of cook books and it is one I'd least be likely to part with.

Secondly, thank you for the hint about disappearing text. I wrote it down and I'm sure I'll use it. I just wish I knew what I was doing to make this happen.

Are you using a laptop? They seem to be sensitive to mystery moves.

Oh, if anyone is looking for an odd-ball cook book and likes thrift stores and old used book stores (one of my favorite sources for old cookbooks), keep an eye out for "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices by the Herters. (George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter) It is truly fun. I've never used it to actually cook anything, but the writers are so opinionated and absolutely amusing. Mom gave it to me and I don't know who in the heck gave it to her (I'll have to ask the next time I call). I gather that once , if not still, there was a restaurant run by this couple.

No, it isn't a laptop, but it is a newer keyboard and even Computer Guy (who really knows his stuff) can't quite figure out what key I hit (it is definitely my right pinkie finger) that makes all dissappear. I think laptop will come in my near immediate future. Meant to do it years ago.

I ran across a cookbook called The Mayberry Cookbook or something like that. It has some fairly good recipes in it... But the best parts are the quotes from the show (the andy griffith show) and a few reads about some of the characters. It's a good one to have in your collection...

I ran across a cookbook called The Mayberry Cookbook or something like that. It has some fairly good recipes in it... But the best parts are the quotes from the show (the andy griffith show) and a few reads about some of the characters. It's a good one to have in your collection...

That is a fun cookbook and the recipes are very good even though the names get a little hokie.

They issued another one with only desserts also very good.

That is a fun cookbook and the recipes are very good even though the names get a little hokie.

They issued another one with only desserts also very good.

Yea, the title of some of the recipes would give you a chuckle. I didn't know they have a dessert one. I'll have to check out..:)

I love " Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook - Feasting With Your Slow Cooker" by Ranck and Good. I bought it at one of my school's cheap book sales, and it's a compilation of TNT recipes. Much stained and well used.

Oh Dawgluver I'm so glad to hear that. I just ordered that cookbook from Second Time Around for $4. It's on its way, now I'm REALLY excited about getting it!

In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion - by Regan Daley

This book has 700 pages. It offers a vast wealth of information, extensive and thorough. Huge resource of baking ingredients, tools, bakewares, techniques, and recipes.

Just for eggs, she went on for 16 pages.

I love it. If I could own only one baking book, this would be the one.

In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion - by Regan Daley

This book has 700 pages. It offers a vast wealth of information, extensive and thorough. Huge resource of baking ingredients, tools, bakewares, techniques, and recipes.

Just for eggs, she went on for 16 pages.

I love it. If I could own only one baking book, this would be the one.

I'll have to check that one out...

The Settlement Cook Book is one that you don't hear much about these days. It is an interesting resource for all sorts of great recipes that early immigrants brought to this country and adapted to what was available here. It has been updated and reissued many times since it was first published in 1901.

foodstorm said:
Oh Dawgluver I'm so glad to hear that. I just ordered that cookbook from Second Time Around for $4. It's on its way, now I'm REALLY excited about getting it!

You will love it, Foodstorm!

I enjoyed the basic recipes found in the Foxfire books. Not many recipes, but a good read.

I remember a college roommate making amazing falafel from the Moosewood cookbook. Does that sound right? It was Moose-something.

Plus one for the Settlement Cookbook, Aunt Bea.

Two that I like are a sort of series, although they are stand alone cookbooks when published.

The first is Favorite ____ Recipes of Home Economics Teachers, Cassseroles, Salads, Desserts, Holidays, Meat, Main Menu etc. I suppose they published one a year as school fund raisers, and Teachers from across the country submitted a recipe(s) and got their name/ location and school noted at the bottom of each recipe. 1000's of recipes, many similiar or variations. Both the Salads and Desserts Books have A Whole Chapter of Jello recipes!! Spiral Bound. 1960's or 70's.

The other ones I like were published by the Magazine, Farm Journal.
FJ's Country Cookbook, FJ Family Favorites, other titles, AND TaDa-- The FJ Complete Pie Cookbook. late 1960's/ early 70's. The magazine no longer is published nor the cookbooks. Available on Amazon, EBay used bookstores and garage sales.

I also like finding regional cookbooks if / when I go traveling. I have 2 from Kentucky. The 2nd even references the first, even though they are printed 40 years apart. I like looking for cookbooks at garage sales and used bookstores. And Estate sales. And what's on Friends bookshelves, I consider that ok to look at, it's not quite the same as snooping in their medicine cabinet. Well, I wouldn't, but you know somebody does, because things get re-arranged in my own from time to time.

A cookbook I am Looking for is James Beard -- Beard on Bread. Out of Print. Yes, I could go direct to Amazon, except part of the fun is in the Chase.

Fred

LOL!!! You hit that nail right on the head! Twice. It's the reason I usually avoid the church & organization books.

Most of the older books didn't have many pictures. They were just a collection of recipes, and you had to picture it yourself. I think the old standbys like Betty Crocker and Good Housekeeping are greatly underappreciated today. If they had a pic of every recipe, they'd get a lot more use.

I have a GH that is falling apart. It is my 'go to' cookbook. My daughter has her name on it. She loves to read all my notes in the margins. I got it at a yard sale. I wish I still had my first husband's copy of the original Joy of Cooking. He had several books that were used in his culinary school days. Including The Art of French Cooking by JC. Both volumes. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom