"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I've received a few from my Mom -
Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book (1977)
Amish Country Cookbook, vol 1 – Das Dutchman Essenhaus (1979)
and I think I brought home some more last time I was there, but can't remember which ones. newer ones. She didn't have many cookbooks. I do have her handwritten book and all of the cutouts that she put in a photo album.

and one from my husband's Grandma - Woman’s Home Companion Cookbook (1943) - held together with a rubber band. :)

Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
and I think I brought home some more last time I was there, but can't remember which ones. newer ones. She didn't have many cookbooks. I do have her handwritten book and all of the cutouts that she put in a photo album.

and one from my husband's Grandma - Woman’s Home Companion Cookbook (1943) - held together with a rubber band. :)

What a blast from the past. My husband and I ate our wedding dinner at Das Dutchman Essenhaus 14 years ago. I bought a cookbook there called Salads and Dressings. I only bought it because it had their recipe for slaw dressing in it. I still use it today.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

when my uncle passed away a few years ago, i was asked to clean out his apartment in brooklyn. i donated all of the furniture and other belongings to charity, but i made sure to keep an old wok, cast iron frying pan, and my (also passed) aunt's hand written personal cookbook/notebook.

i thought it was going to contain all of these rare scottish recipes passed down through the ages, but i had to chuckle at how many clippings from old magazines and other recipes that she'd collected that started with "1 pkg instant mix", "add a can of mushroom soup", or "1 box jello brand gelatin" as their ingredients.

i then realized that she was a busy nurse in the 50's and was living the post war american dream with my uncle, all ready in an instant. just add water, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

1001 ways to please a husband: The Bride's Cookbook 1958
Cutco cook book 1961
The Art of Making Italian Deserts 1955
I use these daily; most pages are falling apart, spines crumbled and edges shredded. The 'please a husband' one has 'large sizes' for entertaining.
I use that one the most. Yes, it's been most effective for making my marriage happy!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
What a blast from the past. My husband and I ate our wedding dinner at Das Dutchman Essenhaus 14 years ago. I bought a cookbook there called Salads and Dressings. I only bought it because it had their recipe for slaw dressing in it. I still use it today.
I'll have to see if it's in my cookbooks... in addition to vol 1, they've also put out vol 2, 3, and 4, which I have thanks to ebay. Since I had taken Mom's copy, I got my sister a copy of vol 1. vol 1 has a great Marshmallow Brownie recipe. seems like there were quite a few recipes we used when I was in high school...
Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by giginpeppep View Post
1001 ways to please a husband: The Bride's Cookbook 1958
Cutco cook book 1961
The Art of Making Italian Deserts 1955
I use these daily; most pages are falling apart, spines crumbled and edges shredded. The 'please a husband' one has 'large sizes' for entertaining.
I use that one the most. Yes, it's been most effective for making my marriage happy!
Oh I just love that you mentioned 1001 Ways to Please a Husband. I have never seen one and was curious since I have heard it mentioned before. This inspires me to look for one. Thank you for posting!! Cindy
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post

You're making me feel like an old lady. I have cookbooks from the 70s that I bought new.

The only cookbook I have from my mother she bought for me. Mesterkokkens Store Kogebog - that's Danish for "The master chef's big cookbook". It's big and heavy and she brought it in her luggage on a trip to Montreal from Copenhagen.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
Senior Cook

taxlady - I think my Mom bought them new then also... I don't really remember her using cookbooks when I was growing up. She was a farmer's daughter and wife. She does have some that she cut out of (I'm assuming) a church cookbook - wish I could find that as a complete cookbook. No idea of the title. Probably where she grew up or where they first lived when they were married. So, somewhere around Zeeland or Hudsonville, Michigan.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
Head Chef

Kathy, If you ever find the name of the cookbook let me know. I live in the Grand Rapids area and go to lots of yard sales. I see these kind of cookbooks often and if I come across it I'll send it to you.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

My Mom never used a cookbook. She cooked from memory.

Dad was a chef who worked for a firm that ran in-plant cafeterias. He would spend days in different kitchens ensuring everything was running well.

As a kid I was tasked with typing up recipes for his cookbook after dinner. He'd dictate and I'd type. He kept all the recipes in a black 5x7 three ring binder. It's gone. I assume his boss got the cookbook. I wish I had it.