"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Kathy, If you ever find the name of the cookbook let me know. I live in the Grand Rapids area and go to lots of yard sales. I see these kind of cookbooks often and if I come across it I'll send it to you.
that would be great! Unless one of my aunts has a copy, I don't know how I would find out the name. I can check with them.

I do have two complete pages from it. One from the Candy & Nuts section and one from the Canning section (tabs off to the side). Recipe Titles are in Caps and Underlined.

Candy & Nuts is page (31) with only two recipes on it - Karmel Korn by Mrs. Eugene Van Der Kolk and Popsicles by Mrs. Dale Van Der Kolk.

Canning is page (32) with five recipes - Lazy Wives Pickles by Mrs. John Hopp, Old Fashioned Pickles by Mrs. Daryl Newhouse, Bread and Butter Pickles by Mrs. Marvin Van Der Kolk, Icicle Pickles by Mrs. Pete Walters, and Bread & Butter Pickles by Mrs. Edward Mast.

I'm assuming it's a church cookbook - set up that way with the names. I also would assume it's a Reformed Church cookbook as that's the denomination my family went to. I'm also guessing late 50's to the 70's.

that would be great if you could find a copy - thanks joesfolk!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Guilty as charged--I have over 1000 cookbooks--many of which were purchased at thrift stores, yard sales, and auctions (the "mother load" came from an auction 2 years ago--over 500 were added for $12). I'm on my 2nd Joy of Cooking--the first one fell apart.

I have the 1951 Better Homes and Garden Cookbook--got at an estate sale years ago, same edition as my mom's. The White House Cookbook (from my grandmother), The Boston Cooking School Cookbook (my great-aunt) and Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook. The older ones do make interesting reading. And, I've used recipes for wild grapes from the White House Cookbook. I'm forbidden from buying any more cookbooks. My DH had to build a new bookcase for the auction ones. I have no more room for cookbooks. I had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them.

I love church cookbooks and Junior League cookbooks. When I traveled, I used to buy those because they were reflective of the region and the foods people ate.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Guilty as charged--I have over 1000 cookbooks--
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm forbidden from buying any more cookbooks. My DH had to build a new bookcase for the auction ones. I have no more room for cookbooks. I had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them.

I love church cookbooks and Junior League cookbooks. When I traveled, I used to buy those because they were reflective of the region and the foods people ate.
1000 cookbooks...WOW! A kindred spirit with a passion like my own. I loved reading your post. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! Oh...and BTW who is DH? Cindy
Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookbook Shop View Post
1000 cookbooks...WOW! A kindred spirit with a passion like my own. I loved reading your post. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! Oh...and BTW who is DH? Cindy
DH = Dear Husband

Go to General Forums | Support & News | http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ons-55180.html
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
Cook

I can't remember my maternal grandmother cooking, but I know that my paternal grandmother was part of the 'cook by memory' crowd. My father is much the same way, as am I when I can be. Inevitably it's up to me to jot down as many recipes as I can (including my father's eggplant parmigiana recipe which is considered something sacred). One of my goals is to have a recipe book that can either be inherited throughout future family or at least sent out into the world to be used by others for years to come (high hopes but dangit, sometimes a hand written recipe book you can flick through feels so much better than scrolling through countless webpages).

Having said that I have a big obsession fascination with vintage home economics/housekeeping books. Unfortunately where I'm located means I'm not lucky enough to find such books in thrift stores/garage sales and have to rely on eBay and the like. I think the oldest book I have in my collection is from the 1920s which was intended for school girls (though I can't remember off the top of my head if it even had a cooking chapter, I only remember the cleaning and dressmaking).

One of the most curious books I have is from the 50s called 'The American Way of Housekeeping'. From what I can work out, it was written for Japanese women who married American men (either continuing to live in Japan or having immigrated to the US) and teaching all the typical customs and duties of the housewife. I am pretty sure there was some rather typical meat-and-potatoes type recipes littered throughout the book (I think I need to dig it up again and have another look).

I could probably be a very happy girl if I somehow ended up with an original copy of Mrs Beeton's Household Management and Mrs Beeton's Cookery (more to read than use... the copious amounts of lard is downright frightful).