What are looking for in a new Cookbook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chilichip

Senior Cook
I know the first is will the recipes work and easy to read, easy to find ingredients
But I do love to see PICTURES , how well they look ,yes I know but I'm weak went it comes to cookbooks,I'm thinking I need an other book it's been awhile.

Well, chili, I just reviewed "The Taste of Home Cookbook" and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's well thought-out and divided into reasonable sections. The photos are very well-done and the explanations of processes are equally well-done. If I wanted to give a cookbook to a new bride or to someone new at cooking, I would give them this book.

P.S. I'm not employed by the folks who have created/printed/marketed this book. I just think it is a good basic book...for anyone.

More than anything, I look for special techniques, insights, and tips in cookbooks. That means, I want to learn from the author's cooking experience. I don't want cookbooks just for recipes because recipes are so easy to find on the web. Unless it's a famous recipe.

The one book I got just for it's famous roast chicken recipe is Bouchon by Thomas Keller. This dish was lauded by Anthony Bourdain in his review of that restaurant in Las Vegas. I've made that chicken about 5 times now and it's always a hit. Somewhere I read that this book is worth buying just for the roast chicken (Poulet Roti) recipe. And I fully agree!

Actually, what we really need to know is what level of cooking are you interested in knowing about. I posted earlier about "The Taste of Home Cookbook," which is a good learning tool, but if you want more advanced, this book wouldn't be appropriate. Although, I still think it's a pretty good reference book for some of the basics.

:) I have a bunch of cook books, recipes etc and tweaking a recipe is not a problem ,flavors I know,combinations of flavors I know,I know about having some color included in a dish such as (my favorite some red to go with green etc) but I would love a great book on presentation something beyond the normal garnishes.I know I can do a great presentation but I search constantly for better.And I dont mean stacking or over the top but just some different ideas.Of course I am my own worst critic and I do a great job.Im talking about being on a job not at home, at home I do a little but but dont take it so hard.

I agree with you guys , I love learning something new , Did you ever read Julia Child's kitchen wisdom book ,it has a lot techniques in it .I hate my cooking but my family and friends love it,

i'd like to see a cookbook that shows mistakes, or pictures of the correct way to do something v.s. pictures and descriptions of common mistakes?
you might not interest james beard and the cia, but beginners would eat it up.

Back
Top Bottom