What are your top five favourite Cookbooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone-Deborah Madison
The Bread Bible-Rose Levy Beranbaum
the Internet (websites like allrecipes and joyofbaking)

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
Cooking for Young Homemakers
The Victorian Book of Cakes
Round the World Cooking Library: German Cooking
Weight Watchers Meals in Minutes

The Victorian Book of Cakes---Maverick, who is that by? looks fun

Originally printed around the turn of the century, it was reprinted by Portland House. Distributed by Outlet Book Company, Inc. which is a division of Random House.
The recipes were gathered from the Victorian era and cover: Traditional Victorian cakes, biscuits, cookies, petits fours, shortbreads, savoy molds, pound cakes, slab cakes, gingerbreads, marzipan and nougats. It also covers the fillings, icings, and frostings for covering and decorating the cakes.
It has over 45 pages of photos along with period ads and artwork.
It is a pretty cool book, and fun to use!

books

betty crocker for clear directions to the basics.

fannie farmer-so well used , it is held together with a rubber band

joy of cooking

diabetes cookbake by betty crocker

martha stewart 's baking book.

babe:chef::chef:

our fannie farmer, circa '72, has disintegrated into several (chaotic) sections. but it's still our baseline reference.

dw also likes rachael ray's 30 minute meals books.

Last edited:
Fanny Farmer and Cooking for Young Homemakers are both falling apart and kept together with rubber bands.
Another good one we have is A Taste of the Country. It is composed of recipes from homemakers across the US. Lots of good country cooking in it.

The old Better homes and gardens cookbook
How to cook everything
The joy of cooking
An old church cookbook because recipes are the bomb and the layout is adorable

Boston Cooking School Cookbook(s)
The Joy of Cooking
Better Homes and Gardens
The American Country Inn and Bed and Breakfast Cookbook
Get Saucy

:) I use many that have been mentioned but I also have 5 large magnetic photo albums with hand written recipes and clippings that are all are categorized such as meat, fish and pasta, vegetable dishes, soups and salads, baking and desserts, lunch/ brunch and breakfast and so on. I refer to them frequently. I also put pictures of of different presentations, hints and tips for ideas to go along with all the categories. If my albums were stolen or burned down in a fire I would be extremely upset.

My top 5? That depends on the season and which way the wind blows for me.

I have about 1,000 cookbooks and review batches of them on a regular basis so as to actually use them.

Got a couple of nice ones for my birthday in May, so they are at the top of my list because they are so new. Beer Can Chicken is on my list right now, too. Been into breads a bit so one of my bread books is out on the counter. That's 4. The last one would have to be an old one (about 1960) called The Summer Cookbook. It's been so hot here, I've been looking for ways to prepare coolish meals for hot times.

Ask me tomorrow and my answer will be different.

The ones I have worn out are the Frugal Gourmet series by Jeff Smith, and the 60 minute gourmet by Pierre Franey. I also use Le Cordon Bleu. Good basic information in all of these.

I find this an interesting question because I sometimes review cookbooks for our newspaper (big readership). I also have been on Weight Watchers since I was 15 and lost 50 pounds. I am older than that and still look good.

Anyway, here are my favorites with some explanations below:

- Any Jacques Pepin cookbook and even better when he cooks with Julia Child
- Take 5 and Turnaround WW cookbooks
- The Frugal Gourmet Series ( I saw him and Craig in person. He actually was not very nice but Craig was)
- Recipe collections from Cooking Light Magazine
- Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson

I got to review "Chez Jacques" for the paper. It is really almost more of a coffee table book. Each of the recipes is prefaced by his memories of cooking them and there are beautiful pictures and illustrations. The recipes do, however, use ingredients and utensils that a home cook may not have or use.

Of the cookbooks that I have reviewed, my favorite is "Super Natural Cooking." I mentioned this in a post about coconut oil. This is a vegetarian cookbook. However, it is not just an ordinary vegetarian cookbook. It made me re-think flours and fats that I use. I restocked my pantry. I constantly go back for tried and new recipes. Geez, I should be her publicity agent.

I went to Cornell and ate at Moosewood Restaurant while Mollie Katzan was still there. :)

This question is obscene. I have hundreds of cookbooks! If it's something basic or I want my kids to learn, I consult Fanny Farmer. But I have a few family cookbooks that are downright treasures. The Moosewood Cookbook is an oldie but goodie too. I could not select just five, as there are some I just "read" for the enjoyment of reading, like author Adriana Trigiani's family collection (which is so familiar if you are from an Italian American family).

1) The Joy of Cooking. Any list that doesn't have this as number 1 is automatically invalidated. It is THE source.
2) I forget the name of it, but it's big, thick, and you find it at college bookstores that have a culinary arts program. Again, has just about everything (will have to go dig it out)
3) BBQ Bible (Stephen Raichlan). I'm going to include the various sub-books with this as well ("Sauces, Rubs, & Marinades", "Regional", etc.)
4) Tom's Big Dinner (Tom Douglas, owner of Lola in Seattle)
5) Barefoot Contessa Family Style (every recipe in there is good. Every one)

Im not mcuh of a book book person but.....

in no order:

Culinary Artistry (msotly for combonations and such)
My culinary school baking book. I think tis called baking but its by Glissen
Allrecipes.com (if i need thoughts or ideas ill refer to it)
recipezaar.com (same as above)
People ive met and food ive tasted (I can replicate very well.)

Culinary Artistry
French Laundry
3 Star Chef
Return to Cooking
Boulevard

5 favorite cookbooks?

:chef: I have about 55 cookbooks and I find some interesting recipes to use in most of them. I copy the recipe onto a recipe card and use the card while cooking or baking. So, I don't have any favorite cookbooks. :chef:

In no particular order, all of Maida Heatter's original cookbooks:
Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts
Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts
Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts
Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies
Maida Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts
Maida Heatter's Best Dessert Book Ever
Maida Heatter's Brand New Book of Cookies

Back
Top Bottom