"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I quit buying Gourmet and Bon Appetit because of all the ads and fillers. I just buy the year end compulations also.

Quote:
I bought Cuisine At Home's "Weeknight Menus", and really like it
That sounds interesting Loprainne. I've never seen it on the shelves but I'll check it out on the internet.

I'm pretty disillusioned with mags right now. The pages of ads and irrelevant articles annoy me. I'll pick one up if the cover intrigues me ---> impulse buyer.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #22
Sous Chef

I'm still hanging on to my Bon Appetit subscription - just can't bring myself to give it up.

Love Cuisine at Home and "Weeknight Menus" is a great one to have on hand.

I switch back and forth between professional and non-professional magazines for ideas. And i subsribe to too darn many!!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Taste of Home. I have tried some of the other Reiman publications but didn't care for them. The reason I like Taste of Home is so many recipes are submitted by gardeners and the recipes use ingredients I have on hand. I just skip over the ones that include the ubiquitous can of cream of mushroom soup, I find enough good, from scratch, recipes to keep the subscription. And I have recently started buying the annual recipe books on ebay, these cookbooks have one whole year of Taste of Home, and their other publications, in one, indexed book. But I warn you, these cookbooks are heavily bidded on.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #24
Cook

I like Cook's Illustrated, Cuisine at Home and La Cucina Italiana. I'm not subscribed to any, though, I just pick them up occasionally at the bookstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
One a side note...has anyone subscribed to Cooks illustrated web site? Is it any good? Did you think it was worth it?
I am subscribed to the CI website, and I find it very worthwhile. I'm very much an Internet person (see my screen name. ;) and I also hate clutter. I don't want years and years worth of magazines sitting around in my house that I have to search through to find what I want. Instead, when I'm looking for something specific, I just go jump on their website and look it up. I use their equipment reviews and taste tests as much or more than their recipes. Or, if I can't find a recipe elsewhere with good user reviews, I'll go to CI next.

My favorite places to get recipes are epicurious.com and foodnetwork.com, because I like reading reviews from others. That's the one thing I don't like about CI's website. I even sent them an email telling them, and they replied that the reason they don't let users review the recipes is because they found that usually people change the recipe, then review it, and it's not really applicable. I can kinda see their point, but I still have had best results from using recipes with good reviews by others, even if they changed it.

Valerie
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I am a cooking magazine "addict"...I get the majority of the ones listed here, and have for years. My favorite is Saveur,Cuisine At Home, and Southern Living.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Cooks Illustrated also has a fantastic full blown cookbook too, it has all of the recipies that they have perfected over the years in the same format as the mag. to boot. It's called "The Best Recipies From Americas Test Kitchen" Four star recomendation from me.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #27
Master Chef

The only thing I don't like about Cook's Illustrated & its ilk (i.e. mags without ads to make them more supposedly consumer-friendly), is that cooking - like many other vocations/hobbies - is very much a personal thing. So frankly, I don't hold much credence to a "test panel"'s suggestions - particularly when it comes to food. Cookware/appliances maybe, but food? No. I might absolutely ADORE a certain condiment, while someone else might hate it with a passion. That doesn't mean either one of us is wrong - it's just personal taste. It's that part of Cook's Illustrated that I dislike - just too many really solid-stated opinions that really don't mean squat, & might steer new cooks from trying different things.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I don't subscribe to any right now....
but love Taste of Home.
have picked up Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Saveur (just got about 2 years worth!)and CI at thrift stores.... They had some 20 year old Bon Appetit and Food & Wine mags I passed on, but maybe I should get them?!?

I subscribe to the CI website. I like it. I usually look up their new testings on equipment. My latest lookup was for pressure cookers. I like how they tell you what exactly they didn't like about something. saves a lot of headache.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #29
Master Chef

KathyJ - you're so lucky!!! If I were you I'd snap those old copies up in a nanosecond.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's I had an issue of Bon Appetit that had 3 fabulous recipes for holiday tea breads - a banana, an apple, & a cranberry/orange - that made wonderful gifts. I used & cherished that issue until it nearly fell apart. Then after a couple of moves & "house cleanings", it disappeared. Boy, would I love to find a copy of that issue again!!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #30
Senior Cook

so.... maybe I should go back there and see if they'd give me a deal on them?
they had probably 30-40 of them at $.15/each..... which I guess doesn't amount to that much when you think about it....
I just have so many magazines already that I'm "supposed to be looking through" and pulling out recipes that I didn't want to add to it. I guess I could always go through them at work....

so, should I Breezy???? It's all up to you!!!

I do like the Saveur I got though. But those were fairly recent, 99-02 years, probably got 20 mags with that.