What is your favorite cooking magazine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Ok here we go. What is your favorite cooking magazine? What is that magazine that you could just not live without? I just subscribed to Cook's illustrated. This one is probably my favorite because it comes with no advertisements and is pretty much the "Consumer Reports" of cooking magazines. Only thing i wish they would do is come out with color photos. I also subscribe to "Chile Pepper Magazine" which is good but i wouldn't say its awesome either. I have subscribed to "Taste of home" before and its ok. I don't think i would subscripbe to it again though. I have also subscribed to something called "Kitchen & Cook" which i thought was good but i didn't renew my subscription. I will probably subscribe to "Cooks Country" which is put out by the same company as Cooks Illustrated and seemed very good. One a side note...has anyone subscribed to Cooks illustrated web site? Is it any good? Did you think it was worth it? What sucks is they make you subscribe to Cooks illustrated and cooks country seperatly. It would be nice if it was one subscription so it will cost you $40 a year for both.

My favorite is Cuisine At Home. I like it for the same reasons you like Cooks Illustrated. There are no ads. It is just chock full of recipes and food related stuff, plus they have great color photos. It is not inexpensive, but I think it is worth it.

I second the Cuisine at Home. I also like the Cooking Light Magazine. I used to subscribe to Taste of Home and Quick Cooking but I really found that I didn't use any of the recipes so I stopped my subscription.

Taste of Home for me. Love love love the recipes, and there are photos of every recipe. (I'm visual - need photos!)

Taste of home for me too. I love cooking simple but good tasting food and Taste of home has that.

I get Bon Appetit too
and I enjoy it but not as much.

My hands-down favorite is Saveur, which I've been getting since the very first introductory issue. Love it. Great articles, great recipes, & terrific little tidbits about food everywhere.

I also get Eating Well, which I also like for its healthful takes on favorite recipes without using a lot of unnatural & processed "diet" items.

The one magazine that I don't miss AT ALL, after getting it for quite a few years in the past, is Gourmet. It went from a lovely version of what Saveur is today, to a hoity-toity travel mag with more ads than content. They couldn't even tempt me back with their $12 a year offer - lol!!!

I'm hooked on La Cucina Italiana. Also, some of Better Homes and Gardens "Pefect" publications. I bought Cuisine At Home's "Weeknight Menus", and really like it.

I love cooking magazines! but my budget does not. It is hard for me to pick just one but if I had to I'd go with Everyday Food. I love that one and cook from it often. I also love my Cooking Light.

Used to get the Taste of Home, Quick Cooking and Light and Tasty but now I look for them in thrift stores and at yard sales. They're older when I get them but new to me and you can't beat the price usually a quarter. I also enjoy getting Saveur, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, and several others that way.

I did subscribe to the new Rachel Ray one but I'm not renewing. Don't get me wrong I'd buy it if I found it at the thrift store. Wish I'd subed to Paula Deen's instead but hoping to find some of them at the thrift stores too. My son subed to Food and Wine for me with some unused frequent flyer miles but it'll run out soon and I'll have to start searching the thirft stores again.

I love the Donna Hay magazine but at almost $10 a pop I can't see it. Also Olive magazine is a good one and there is another Healthy cooking one I enjoy when I can find it. I took a pek at the new Italian one and it looks good. Hope I can find a copy of that at the thrift stores too. Can you tell I'm often known as the thrift store queen?

Cuccina Italiana

It comes out 6 times a year and I start checking the mailbox about 2 weeks before it arrives because I'm jonesing so much for it.

If you enjoy Italian cooking this is THE magazine for you.

I also like Cooks, Gourmet and Epicurean. I also pick up stuff at the supermarket or bookstore that looks good on the cover. I've saved them all since the mid 80's and if my home ever caught fire, I'd go up like a tinderbox. Forget the family photos, save the magazines!!

Last edited:
"If you enjoy Italian cooking this is THE magazine for you"

Sure is.:) I bought the Southern Cooking one while in the States 2 weeks ago, but left it behind, never got a chance to look at it.:(

ncage1974 said:
Ok here we go. What is your favorite cooking magazine? What is that magazine that you could just not live without? I just subscribed to Cook's illustrated. This one is probably my favorite because it comes with no advertisements and is pretty much the "Consumer Reports" of cooking magazines. Only thing i wish they would do is come out with color photos. I also subscribe to "Chile Pepper Magazine" which is good but i wouldn't say its awesome either. I have subscribed to "Taste of home" before and its ok. I don't think i would subscripbe to it again though. I have also subscribed to something called "Kitchen & Cook" which i thought was good but i didn't renew my subscription. I will probably subscribe to "Cooks Country" which is put out by the same company as Cooks Illustrated and seemed very good. One a side note...has anyone subscribed to Cooks illustrated web site? Is it any good? Did you think it was worth it? What sucks is they make you subscribe to Cooks illustrated and cooks country seperatly. It would be nice if it was one subscription so it will cost you $40 a year for both.

I subscribed for several years to Cooks and did learn a lot. But I have to admit that I finally became a bit disenchanted. I was much more interested in the final result, the recipe, than in the very long and very detailed process. When I found myself skipping over all that to get to the end result, I figured I might be wasting my money. But I do have several years' worth of issues (they sell an annual hardcover compilation), and I do refer to them on occasion.

I agree with GB about Cuisine At Home. Although I don't currently subscribe, I liked its format: no ad, just lots of recipes and good information without getting quite as bogged down in detail as Cooks.

Loprraine said:
"If you enjoy Italian cooking this is THE magazine for you"

Sure is.:) I bought the Southern Cooking one while in the States 2 weeks ago, but left it behind, never got a chance to look at it.:(

What is this southern cooking mag everyone keeps talking about? Is this southern living or another mag?

thanks,
ncage

I guess I'm not enough of a gourmand, but I really enjoy Everyday Food for... er... everyday food. Just subscribed to Food and Wine, but didn't start recieving yet. And you got me curious about this Taste of Home one. I'm going to look it up.

I was planning on subscribing for Rachel Ray Magazine. Is it bad?

ncage1974 said:
What is this southern cooking mag everyone keeps talking about? Is this southern living or another mag?

thanks,
ncage

I am not aware that La Cuccina Italiana has any affiliation with Southern Cooking. I think people are talking about two different things.

Back
Top Bottom