"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is your favourite cookbook?

Does anyone have a foolproof cookbook that has always given great results? I'm always looking at new cookbooks and I have to say that I love Rachael Ray's collection but sometimes the ingredients she uses are very expensive and not good for multiple recipes. I'd love to hear about any that you guys love and would recommend!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I like going to the food network website and just browsing through their recipes and picking one. I usually only have to go out to the store for one or two things, and get creative with my substitutions. I often just get the main gist of the recipe and take creative liberties with it to make it my own.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Half Baked

Jaques and Julia's Cooking At home has always produced good recipes for me. It is great to get two different perspectives on the same recipe too.

I have too many to pick a favorite though.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Years ago, I had some favorite cookbooks that I followed closely, hoping to reproduce what was presumably a very good dish. Now, if someone asked which kitchen books I would be last to give up, those would be more theory and practice books. One of the keepers would be The Flavor Bible. This one gives you good and acceptable flavor combinations that helps when thinking about trying something new.

The weightiest one is Larousse Gastronomique, the English version of the French encyclopedic illustrated dictionary of food and cooking. Waaaaay more than you really need, but really interesting and occasionally inspiring. Can usually be found used around $20. (Very large, heavy book.)

I've also come to appreciate a couple of books on condiments. There are many different ones around that cover making your own, something that I don't find instinctive yet, so I still want recipes.

Finally, Clayton's "Breads of France: How to Bake Them in Your Own Kitchen" and "New Complete Book of Breads." I'm not at the freestyle level of bread making, yet, and I need instruction on the variations and their effects.

But the original question was about cookbooks. Back when I depended on them, I seemed to make the most use of Simply Delicious Cooking by Ron Kalenuik. Big book, about 800 pages and 1200 recipes. Seems like this was on of those itinerant book sellers used to come around hawking. Best of all, you can pick it up today for as little as 0.01 plus shipping. (See Amazon.) Actually, the one I have is Simply Delicious 2, but I've never seen number 1. It turns up in a 400 page edition, also, so maybe that's number 1, but I suspect there's only one 800-page edition.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I really like Aromas of Aleppo. It's ethnic but everything is amazing! It's my go to cookbook. Her baklava is a show stopper.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Some good books

Depends on what you want.

A tried and true is Joy of Cooking.

I LOVE anything by America's Test Kitchen. They have a new book coming out (or it's already out) that looks like a beast, but I'm sure it's amazing. Really - probably all you really need!

I love Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" book for Italian food.

Just some food for thought.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, either the original 1896 Boston Cooking School version, or any of the Marion Cunningham (NO! Not Richie and Joanie's mother!) edited version. Everything you've ever wanted to make, including classic recipes and modern ones, is in there, and over the last 115 years or so, they've all been TNTed to death!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When I first got married in 1957, my new husband had a copy of the original Joy of Cooking. I came to the marriage with the Fannie Farmer Boston School of Cooking book. It was given to me when I was in junior high school. I now just use the "Good Housekeeping Cookbook" printed in 1973. I use it mainly for ideas. But there are some recipes that I follow faithfully. It has become the kind of book that your kids want when you are gone. Notes on the side of the pages. Slips of paper all through it with notations. Sections of the book that have come completely loose. You get the idea. My oldest granddaughter has asked me for it many times. I think it is about time I let her have it. I pretty much have most of the recipes that I have used out of the book memorized. Time to pass it on to the next generation.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Are you looking for a good basic cookbook or my favorite. Right now, my favorite is "Around my French Table," Dorie Greenspan.

A good basic cookbook is the Better Homes and Gardens, the red and white plaid one, is a great starter book, constantly updated. A lot of good cooks started with that one.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Sous Chef

My favorite is an Italian (obviously...) cookbook, by Anna Gosetti della Salda: «Le ricette regionali italiane» (Italian regional recipes).
It is a BIG cookbook, with hundreds of traditional, classic recipes across Italy. Every Italian region has its chapter, and the final indexes are very well conceived, so it's easy to find the recipe you want.

Tags
cookbook