What Size Cook Book do You Prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubbaK

Assistant Cook
I am currently working on developing my cookbooks into a nicley printed form. They will end up being 3-5 books total in a series. Now my dilema is what exact size/measurements are most prefered in a cookbook.

I was originally going with the traditional 8x10 in, 20x25 cm (Standard Portrait) format, but a few friends and family members mentioned that the 10x8 in, 25x20 cm (Standard Landscape) or 13x11 in, 33x28 cm (Large Format Landscape). Bear in mind they will be all Hardcover bound.

They stated that the landscape formats worked better for them as the book stays open easier. I see the validity in this reasoning but wonder if it is a worthwhile option to design the books in.

So I ask you all out there, What Size/Measurement do you prefer your cookbooks to be?
  • 8x10 in, 20x25 cm (Standard Portrait)
  • 10x8 in, 25x20 cm (Standard Landscape)
  • 13x11 in, 33x28 cm (Large Format Landscape)

For my use, it really doesn't matter what size the cookbook is. What matters to me is that the cookbook stays flat on the counter. Nothing worse than trying to find the lost recipe page with a handful of flour or grease. I prefer spiral bound books for working, hardcover for reading.

Whatever will stay open on the counter is what I like. Landscape works well as does spiral bound.

I use a cookbook stand in the kitchen, so a landscape-style book would not balance very well in the stand. I'd go for an 8x10 portrait.

Hmm, well givin' initial feedback so far I must say I am heavily considering adding the Spiral Bound option as well as the Hardcover version.

Please keep the comments coming!

I vote for 8 x 10 landscape and spiral bound. If it's landscape it will take up too much counter space. My 2 cents!

It doesn't matter to me. If I like a cookbook and the recipes therein to the point I want to buy it, the format will not effect my buying decision.

It doesn't matter to me. If I like a cookbook and the recipes therein to the point I want to buy it, the format will not effect my buying decision.
If you could custom make your cookbooks though, what format would you prefer?

Loose leaf

Actually, for me, large type is more important so I can read the recipe without glasses.

As long as it has nice pictures of the finished dish I am happy, and pictures of prep techniques is icing on the cake. I don't really care about the size of the book itself, I have every shape, size and thickness possible on my cookbook shelves! :chef:

I am one of those that doesn't care about the sizing of the cookbook. That's because when I was in college, it was drummed into my head that you NEVER TAKE A COOKBOOK INTO THE KITCHEN! If you do, the cookbook will become dirty/stained, possibly splashed with liquids, etc. Take the time to write the recipe down on paper, or type it. This keeps everything fresh in your mind. I like to use a pushpin to tack the recipe up to a corkboard that we have mounted in the kitchen.

However, if you feel that a cookbook is best used by taking it into the kitchen, a spiral binding is more functional, IMHO, as well as making the pages stain- and liquid-resistant.

I have no problem with the standard 8x10 portrait hardbound format.

I did always like the Better Homes & Garden ringbound cookbook because the boook would lay out flat - or you could remove the pages you wanted.

A true wire spiral binding is another nice format - it too will lay flat.

What I DO hate are the ones with the plastic comb bindings. They tend to be difficult to turn the pages and the pages tear out easy - especially in cheaper publications where the binding is really too small for the number of pages.

And, as someone mentioned - using a font large enough you don't need a magnifying glass to read it is also a plus.

Last edited:
NEVER TAKE A COOKBOOK INTO THE KITCHEN! If you do, the cookbook will become dirty/stained, possibly splashed with liquids, etc.
I actually cherish those stains. What great memories of meals past. My favorite stain in on my recipe for a cilantro pasta sauce that I make. That bright green stain makes me smile every time I see it.

To be fair, I often print out recipes and put them into a three ring binder so the stains are not really in my original book.

That's what I do. Print the recipe and keep it in a folder. Yes, those copies get stained up. Many of those copies aren't really that old. I'm constantly "tweaking" my newer recipes, so those get changed and reprinted as needed. Those recipes that I've been using for years, unchanged, however, are pretty stained up.

Wow I love all this feedback! And the other suggestions ya'll are tossin out or personal likes and such are making this so much more interesting. I love all the suggestion and such and frankly I think I will likely be implementing just about every one of them.

Thinking about all of what has been mentioned so far, I am seeking to cater to a varied collection of folks. Hey why not I say!

Currently I am looking at having the following available:

Binding & Sizing:
  • Hardcover (Image Wrap)
    • Regular Edition - Standard Portrait (8x10 in)
    • Collector Edition - Large Format Landscape (11x13 in)
  • Coated-Wire Spiral Bound (Hardcover & Softcover)
    • Kitchen Edition - Standard Portrait (8x10 in)
Paper:
  • Hardcover
    • Regular Edition - 80-pound text matte-finish
    • Collector Edition - 100-pound text silk-finish
  • Coated-Wire Spiral Bound
    • 80-pound text matte-finish
    • Ultra-Light Laminated pages (Special thanks to AllenOK for this inspiried feature)
Special Features:
  • CD Version in back of books
    • This was currently an option I was already thinking of adding but reinforced by AllenOK, Michael in FtW, and GB. Thanks a ton!
This is just what I have on the drawing board. Still looking for more feedback and other ideas. Keep it coming!! Oh, and all those contributing to ideas will get a nod in the printing.

If we are just brainstorming and throwing out ideas then how about pages that are laminated so they can be wiped off it anything spills or splatters on them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom