"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
Senior Cook

These all sound like good ideas, I have been putting ideas in bookmarks online... and setting up sub categories like dessert, drinks, side dishes, etc. But i think once I've made a recipe then I'm going to put it into a notepad format.. or I might do the old-fashioned, write it on an index card and put it in a box thing...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
These all sound like good ideas, I have been putting ideas in bookmarks online... and setting up sub categories like dessert, drinks, side dishes, etc. But i think once I've made a recipe then I'm going to put it into a notepad format.. or I might do the old-fashioned, write it on an index card and put it in a box thing...

...or you could print them from your computer onto index cards!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I have a recipe folder that i copy and paste recipes into..then if i like it i print it,,put into a plastic sleeve then in my recipe binder that has divided sections.

Be sure to back them up..ya never know when a hard drive may die.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Cook

If you are cool and have OSX (Apple Computer) then you can have a tabbed Word document. I have a document for each category of food (Desserts, Soups, Main Dishes, etc.) and then within that I have each tab name be the recipe that is on that tab.

Another wayt o do this would be in Microsoft Excel, just name the tabs the name of the dish, make the whole background of the page white and type the recipe. Lines up perfectly, looks professional, and you can set print areas for quick and easy printing
Old 12-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Wouldn't it be simpler to have a separate WORD document for each recipe and file it in an appropriate folder?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
Cook

Not for me. I never know what I want to eat until I flip through it and see what sounds good

Edit: I guess you can do that your way too

Size is smaller when you don't have a lot of different files, less time to skim through recipes if you don't have to open different documents for each one, faster to transfer and update IMO. I keep all of my stuff on a flash drive (with my car / bike / renters insurance / other important documents) so size is important... and yes.... smaller is better for once
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess that suits your needs. Whatever works is good.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I keep my recipes in Word and name the folders and subfolders accordingly, i.e. recipes, appetizers, desserts, main dishes.

I print off my favorites recipes (tried and true) and keep them in a binder. I find the notebook very handy. I can use a larger font so I can easily glance at the recipes. I use protective sheets too. If I splatter, I can just wipe them off.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Hmm, I have tried many of these, but I end up with my favourites in plastic sleeves sitting inside my recipe binder cover, not where they belong. And when I need a recipe, I frequently head to the computer, and google, and then end up in places like this where I browse until my desire to cook goes away.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

I've used MasterCook for years. It's very easy to import new recipes, by hand or from the various cooking websites, and use the program to keep everything organized for easy searching for what I want.

A few years ago I bought some 8-1/2 x 5-1/2 3-ring notebooks which I've used for my own recipe books. The half page recipes are printed out, hole punched and placed in my books. Since I cook for "one", all those commercial cook books have been tossed in the trash since I know I will never cook any of that fancy stuff for 6-8 people.

I've tried other programs over the years, but MasterCook still ends up being the best IMO.