Whats on your iPhone - useful apps for foodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Anyone here an iPhone user? After months of looking askance at those iphone games and goofy ads, I finally used one and now I'm never looking back. There are some great applications and they are saving me money and time. Other apps replace gadgets I used to tote along and now save space and streamline packing. Here are some I have:

Redlaser - this is a cool barcode scanner that reads bar codes and then searches online for a better price. Very cool for on the spot major purchases - no need to go home to comparison shop!
Kitchen Calculator - Converts measurements to any unit, metric or US. and one unit to another like Cups to teaspoons etc. Super handy.
Easy UP/Down timer - allows you to set up to 25 timers AT ONCE. great for managing big meals and party prep.
Currency - Provides up-to-date exchange rate information for many currencies. (I travel)
Mobile RSS - reader, sync functions, etc.
Google Mobile App - Search using voice commands. No typing and no voice recognition training. Amazing.

The best way I've found to locate iphone apps is Appshopper
Multiple ways to search...much better than itunes. All of the above can be located there. A nice feature is that you can set up an app to "watch" for price changes and sometimes paid apps become free for a few days.

There all kinds of nifty applications from flashlights, flight trackers, list makers, restaurant finders based on your current location to something called the pocket girlfriend.
confused.gif

Is there a different plan you have to be on to access all that?

Been thinking about getting one, just not sure I would use all that stuff or if I could figure out how. haha

You get the phone and the cell plan that goes with. 'Apps' is short for applications and they are basically different pieces of software that you download to your phone. An iPhone is kind of a tiny computer and you can add these programs to it. Some applications are free and others cost a few dollars but once purchased don't have any additional charges.

I really love the all recipes app, it has a "dinner spinner" that's pretty fun and easy :)
Also, whole foods market has a GREAT app for iphone, amazing recipes on there...
Betty Crocker also has an app with lots of recipes, but that one's dangerous. ;) heehee

One of my favorites(and I am cheap) is "Grocery IQ". The neatest thing I like is the barcode scanner to build your history of items. Very powerful app...love it! I also have Epicurious, BigOven, and AllRecipes. Oh yeah, download NPR talk radio and you can listen to Garrison Keillor, or CarTalk while you're cookin'..

What size iPhone did you all get? I want one but have to wait til December to be able to upgrade. Bummer

Carol

MacGourmet is one I have for my iPhone. By itself it is not a very good program, but it syncs up with MacGourmet for the Mac (which is a great program) so that makes it worth while for me.

I also use Little Chef for converting cups. liters, teaspoons, etc.

Yelp is a great on for finding places to eat.

I think that is all have have regarding food and cooking. I have tons of other apps, but they have nothing to do with food.

Back
Top Bottom