"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Everymom

Emz, you can get couscous at any grocery store. I am not sure where it would be in Superstore but I'd look in the Ethnic section. In our Safeway it is on the aisle right next to the produce. If you are looking at the salad dressings...step to your right and look at the end of that aisle, there are several different brands and flavours.

You are welcome to my perogie recipe anytime. I think its on here. I'll go find it for you. Come over this weekend and you can borrow the books.

Here is the perogie recipe, second or third post down. The dough anyway. The filling is just mashed potatoes with cheese in it. (I use velveeta...shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!)

Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #22
Executive Chef

It's good to have a couple of the basic cookbooks,after that decide what kinds of dishes you like is it more Italian,mexican,american? Then get books that have those recipes you can always spread out as you get more experience.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Another great source for cookbooks is Jessica's Biscuit, at www.ecookbooks.com
Old 04-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Jessicas is great and you get free shipping I believe on orders of $25.00 or more, Amazon does the same.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
If you can't find it then ask someone who works at the store. They will know right away where to find it.
Wow... the staff at your supermarket must be very competent... usually I get a bewildered look as if I just arrived from Mars if I ask about anything that is out of his/her assigned section...

Yes, I am with Alix about where to find couscous... the ethnic section would be the best bet. Also if the supermarket is a big one with self service "weigh and carry" section (where you can scoop out rice, beans, spices, nuts etc etc. by yourself into a sack, weigh it and print out the price tag...), you may find it there, too, and probably cost less that way.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #26
Master Chef

Around here - including our Safeway - couscous is in the same aisle with the rice products.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Wow... the staff at your supermarket must be very competent... usually I get a bewildered look as if I just arrived from Mars if I ask about anything that is out of his/her assigned section...
LOL yeah maybe I am being too optomistic . i should have said you could try asking and hope that someone knows what you are talking about!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Hello and thanks again for all you input. jkath, I really like chicken so if you have a good recipe for that, I'm all ears. However, if you have a good recipe that includes beef I'd also like to hear that because my dad and sister love beef but my mom and I, well to put it bluntly, other than hamburger, we could go without it for the rest of our life. So if you have a good recipe for a beef steak etc, I would really appreciate it. Ohh and anyone else ready this, I'd love to here from you too!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

~emz~, I think you should just hang out with Miss Alix as much as you can when she's fixing dinner and get some hands-on experience that a cookbook will never teach you. Plus, she's fun to be around and can also show you how to make some easy scrumptious desserts.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #30
Master Chef

If you know exactly what you're shopping for, you can't beat Amazon for books, period. Borders and B&N are good as far as stores go. But please don't hesitate to browse you local yard/garage sales, used book stores. I found two out-of-print copies of books I owned and wanted to give to a fellow cookbook collector on a section of used kitchen wear at a kitchen supply store in Daytona.