"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Where to go for cookbooks

Where would I go or where could I find a cookbook that has simple but new and different recipes that I could possibly make(i'm trying to cook once a week so my parents don't have to)? I also need some that wouldn't take much time to prepare and bake, soccer ties things up a lot. I don't even need a cookbook, just if anyone has a simple new recipe, I'm all ears! Thanks

~emz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
The major book store chains, Barnes and Noble or Borders, have an excellent selection of cookbooks that you can browse and evaluate before you buy. They carry all levels of difficulty and specialties.

Of course, you can shop these stores and others on line as well.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
Senior Cook
Foodnetwork.com is a great resource. They have a power search function that you can basically punch in what you want to do (quick, elegant, etc.) and it'll spit back recipes at you. Best of all, it's free
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I go to Barns and Noble ... find what I want and then head over to ebay and buy a used copy for much cheaper.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Emz, look for the Cooking for the Rushed cookbooks at Chapters. (No Barnes and Noble here guys).

You can borrow mine if you like. Just ask Kate to bring them over. You can copy out the recipes you like.

Your other option is to use the search function on the blue taskbar here. Type in the main ingredient (like steak, chicken, whatever) and it will come up with tons of threads you can pick through. You can use the ADVANCED search to have it only look in the areas you want it to look through. Good luck Emz, I know your Mom will appreciate the help.

Easy Chicken recipes here The one I posted is from the recipe book I mentioned.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
I sure hope your parents appreciate you. That is a very nice thing to do for them!

This is a great cookbook that I have made a number of things out of. Most of the recipes can be made pretty quickly. Maybe not the 30 minutes that she claims, but still most don't take too long.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
Oh I also wanted to say that you should check out your library. They will usually have a good selection of cookbooks and you don't have to pay for them
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Head Chef
There are a wealth of good recipes on the internet.

I own about 250 cookbooks but I am also cheap, so I check them out at the public library all of the time. A great little cookbook with simple but wonderful recipes is Rick & Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures by Rick Bayless.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Ciao Emz and welcome to the forum!!

Yes, Alix is right, this forum is filled with helpful infos and recipes which are quick and easy... abuse the search function!!

My personal suggestion is experiment with quick-cooking couscous... it is a delicious substitute to pasta or rice, versatile and goes with so many other foods and diffferent types of flavours, yes, just like pasta and rice.
The greatest thing is it is even easier to cook than pasta or rice, you boil the same amount of water as the couscous, then you throw in the couscous, cover, turn off the heat and let it stand for 5minutes and it is ready!! No worry about something boiling over or burning or sticking. From there you can enjoy with your prefered sauce, condiments, make a salad, or stir fry it with other ingredients etc.... the possibilities are limitless.
This is just a few examples to give you an idea...
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Master Chef
Borders books is KING in this department. Their sales racks are chock full of fabulous cookbooks. I love the fact that I've been able to complete my old collection of "The Beautiful" cookbook series through them for half the price I paid for many of the original volumes. Just this past week I purchased a lovely huge book on Japanese cooking for a whopping $7.95. It's wonderful.

As far as looking for older books that may now be out of print, or simply cookbooks that have been used (in most cases I don't care if cookbooks have been used or not), try these online purveyors:

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote