Which book should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuan

Assistant Cook
hi everyone, i was thinking of purchasing either 'cooking with jaime' by jaime oliver or 'cooking' by james peterson. i heard they're both good and seem like they would help me improve on the fundamentals while learning new recipes too. what do you guys and gals think?

i'm also thinking of getting the following but for some other time:
i'm just here for the food by alton brown
the art of simple food by alice waters
rocco's real life recipes by rocco dispirito

i was also looking at 'the fundemental techniques of classic cuisine' by the french culinary institute and thought it would look great on the coffee table because of all the wonderful colorful pictures in it. :D

any suggestions?

Hi Tuan.....I Can't advise you on which one would be the best bang for your buck, but someone will be along directly that can.

Welcome to DC....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Alton Brown's book is GREAT...my favorite by far. Talks about the science behind cooking, and explains the "why" behind recipes. Would definetely recommend it.

hi everyone, i was thinking of purchasing either 'cooking with jaime' by jaime oliver or 'cooking' by james peterson. i heard they're both good and seem like they would help me improve on the fundamentals while learning new recipes too. what do you guys and gals think??

Peterson without question if your goal is technique. He is an authority. Jamie Oliver is a gifted chef with interetsting recipes, (I have one of his books that I really like) but he's not in Peterson's league.

Other books you might be interested are

The New Making of a Cook
by Madeleine Kamman

How to Make Everything
by mark Bittman

Cookwise
by Shirley Corriher

The Professional Chef
by the Culinary Institute of America

Alton Brown's book is GREAT...my favorite by far. Talks about the science behind cooking, and explains the "why" behind recipes. Would definetely recommend it.

I concur. It is a great read, even outside of the kitchen context, it's cool to learn the way things work. Also, it includes free magnetic, meat diagrams. Bonus!

No experience with the other books.

James Peterson's "Cooking" seems like the best bet to me. I've never seen a negative review of this book, which, if not his best, is at least the one to have if there can be only one. Very well written, and exceptionally well organized (and large) volume.

I found a pretty good online sample of his work here, which I think would serve very well to illustrate just how helpful his writing can be.

tuan,
If you are looking for a lot of fundamental information, I recommend Jacques Pepin's "Complete Techniques".
I am not familiar with Peterson, but I was at Borders last night and briefly saw a book by him, it is quite impressive and more entertaining than Pepin's.
Pepin explains each technique with text AND graphic information, he covers pretty much everything you will ever do in a kitchen. To me, it is pretty hard to beat on fundamentals. The book has lots of recipes, but not as many as you will expect in an 800 pages volume.

Last edited:
Good Start

These are all good suggestions & great names. It's tough to choose what to start out with if someone was asking me. I've subscribed to magazines, bought books, watched the shows religiously at times, and attended a couple of lessons. :chef:

I think if you were particularly inspired by someone, you should start there if only to build on passion and enthusiasm. I recall an episode on American hamburgers & "chips" with Jaime Oliver from 4 or 5 years back, and I can still vividly remember details from the show today. It was truly interesting to see this 'American' culinary staple prepared in England w/ an English perspective. :cool:

hi everyone, i was thinking of purchasing either 'cooking with jaime' by jaime oliver or 'cooking' by james peterson. i heard they're both good and seem like they would help me improve on the fundamentals while learning new recipes too. what do you guys and gals think?

i'm also thinking of getting the following but for some other time:
i'm just here for the food by alton brown
the art of simple food by alice waters
rocco's real life recipes by rocco dispirito

i was also looking at 'the fundemental techniques of classic cuisine' by the french culinary institute and thought it would look great on the coffee table because of all the wonderful colorful pictures in it. :D

any suggestions?

I'm sure they both have good recipes in them, BUT James Peterson is a famous and highly regarded (by his peers) cooking teacher here in US. I'm guessing you would actually learn the most from his book.

I own several Peterson books, and they are very instructional, as well as full of good recipes. I also cook Jamie Oliver's recipes, but as far as I've seen, they are not particularly teacher-driven.

Just my 5 cents. :chef:

cookbook

One cookbook,one of many i have is from Better homes and gardens,called new cookbook,its got a red and white checkered cover.This is one of the first books my mom had....although i have obtained many books since this is one i have owned for many years.

Ya know, if you find a place to put a small bookshelf in the kitchen, you could always just get em all (referencing all the ones people have mentioned here, not all the cookbooks in the world.. for that we would need the Alexandria Library LOL).

I recently bought "Cooking" by James Peterson over the others mentioned. As I never went to culinary school and want to learn the proper way of doing stuff and expand my somewhat limited culinary knowledge, I'm far more interested in books that teach technique. This one is superb IMO. I liked it so well that I paid retail for it ($40) vs. being patient and getting it online for about $25. I wanted it *now*!

I tend to not follow recipes very well (no patience) so I like to know how to cook with what I've got on hand. This book (and others, like La Varenne Practique by Ann Willen) will teach you how to cook and provide recipes for classic dishes to practice the techniques.

Last edited:
Well Done

Good choice. Now you'll have to report back some time on your results - what you picked up from this particular book. Maybe I need to add it to my collection.:)

We're in a 2 story & our pantry has shelves in it where we keep cookbooks & cooking magazines. Over the last 3 years, I've tossed magazines/recipes I consider 'neverwozzers' - meaning we're never going to make them (once or again), or I move the more unused references upstairs to a remote bookshelf.:cool:

Peterson without question if your goal is technique. He is an authority. Jamie Oliver is a gifted chef with interesting recipes, (I have one of his books that I really like) but he's not in Peterson's league.

Other books you might be interested are

The New Making of a Cook
by Madeleine Kamman

How to Make Everything
by mark Bittman

Cookwise
by Shirley Corriher

The Professional Chef
by the Culinary Institute of America

I totally agree with the Shirley Corrhier and the CIA textbooks, but I would like to add Harold McGee's books plus Craig Claiborne's NYT cookbook.

I like the recent "Best Recipe" cookbooks from Cooks Illustrated/America Test Kitchen.

I'm new to this forum, but I love your signature.

Alton Brown/Shirley Corriher for President in 2008

I recently bought "Cooking" by James Peterson over the others mentioned. As I never went to culinary school and want to learn the proper way of doing stuff and expand my somewhat limited culinary knowledge, I'm far more interested in books that teach technique. This one is superb IMO. I liked it so well that I paid retail for it ($40) vs. being patient and getting it online for about $25. I wanted it *now*!

I tend to not follow recipes very well (no patience) so I like to know how to cook with what I've got on hand. This book (and others, like La Varenne Practique by Ann Willen) will teach you how to cook and provide recipes for classic dishes to practice the techniques.

I am thinking of picking that one up as well, for the same reasons. Now would be a good time while I have time to read it!

books

One cookbook,one of many i have is from Better homes and gardens,called new cookbook,its got a red and white checkered cover.This is one of the first books my mom had....although i have obtained many books since this is one i have owned for many years.

i have a betty crocker cook book that is similar to better home and gardens.

can't beat either one for a new cook.very basic and i think we all needed that when i first started.

babe

Back
Top Bottom