Which Bread Book Do You Recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy,

Honestly I have not used any of the books. I did some reading on the Internet, especially at some bread related forums and then played about.

Good bread isn't that hard, exceptional bread is an art form you can't get to without practice. :)

I am sure you will do ok.

One last tip, be careful where you put the stand mixer.. toilet water probably isn't the best for hydrating your flour.

I like the King Arthur Books, too...but they are more involved and quite large. I was thinking about a good starter book.

Good point.

Can you tell I'm a complete novice with breads?

Not necessarily, I've been watching what you like to eat; the breads you would enjoy most with the foods you eat are artisan breads. Why would you want a book that is picky about white sandwich bread when you would be ecstatic with a pull apart bread? :)

I made a small batch of pizza dough (420 gr. bread flour) last night. Enough dough for two 14" pizzas. It performed normally.

I bought The Bread Baker's Apprentice and the Ratios book. I'm in the process of reading Ratios right now. It really simplifies processes.

Last edited:
Just be sure to keep us up to date...

People buzz in ask a question about something then you never see them again.. :LOL:

Ratios is a cookbook? I thought it was light reading...seriously, I read it cover to cover when I got it.:rolleyes:

The one I bought is a cookbook. In addition to presenting ratios, it provides recipes for different dishes. Its primary focus is to get you to cook using ratios but there are recipes to show you how ratios work.

The one I bought is a cookbook. In addition to presenting ratios, it provides recipes for different dishes. Its primary focus is to get you to cook using ratios but there are recipes to show you how ratios work.

I know...I was just kidding. I read cookbooks like others read fiction. They are fascinating treatises on my favorite subject...FOOD!:)

I have said it before but... I am not in total agreement with the ratio thing. I do think it is an interesting perspective, and would be a fine place to start on things, but...

I have said it before but... I am not in total agreement with the ratio thing. I do think it is an interesting perspective, and would be a fine place to start on things, but...

It at least gives you a base to start on when you want to wing something. Creation of new recipes does depend on a solid base of understanding how things work together. There is still enough room to do moderate adjustments to work in high/low altitude and high/low humidity.:)

I think it's a great tool to help you understand how/why things work.

When I was making pizza dough last night, I thought about adjusting my recipe to agree with the ratio and decided "If it ain't broke..."

I recently purchased: The Practical Step-by-Step Guide To BAKING BREAD by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter, I'm loving it. It is written simply and very easy to follow. The first bread I tried was a Cheese and Onion Loaf. To die for!

For everything you ever needed to know (and more!) about making bread, there is only one book. Elizabeth David's "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" (don't be put off by "English". It's more far reaching than that).

Back
Top Bottom