"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I was never given a cookbook. My mother was the cook of the family, but she mostly went by magazines such as Family Circle. All of my cookbooks were bought by myself. I basically taught myself to cook though, before the cookbooks because I just naturally had a love of cooking.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #22
Executive Chef

The Talisman Italian Cookbook - copyright 1957.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The Talisman Italian Cookbook - copyright 1957.
I have the 1978 English language edition. It's my favorite Italian cookbook.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #24
Executive Chef

mom sent me off to college with paperback editions of THe Joy of Cooking and THe New York TImes Cookbook. Both have been with me since as first reference sights, at least.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Have you noticed how many of us are using elastic bands and tape to keep our favorite cookbooks together???? Thank God for these inventions!!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #26
Sous Chef

My first cookbook was whatever was the current edition at that time of The Settlement Cookbook. My mother gave it to me when I married. I later inherited her dilapidated copy ( I think a 1938) that had been given to her by her sister-in-law when my parents married.

I'm sure mine came with a dust jacket. But somewhere along the way, it disappeared. And at some point, I guess the cover of the book sustained damage. Way back then I must have thought it was a nifty to idea to cover it myself. I used the shelf paper that I had lining my cupboards. Certainly a unique copy. Recently I purchased a very nice copy with a dj from the 1940s.

As for buying old cookbooks, I do it routinely, even though my NY resolution is to stop. I buy many of my books on eBay but caution novices that it can be a minefield. You really have to check out the seller, ask questions, and request proper packaging. Sometimes, in spite of all that, the book arrives either not as described or damaged during shipping -- or both. Oh, and if you prefer your books not smell like an ashtray, ALWAYS ask about tobacco (and musty) odors before bidding.

Sometimes I actually find better prices (no bidding wars) and service on book sites like abebooks.com, biblio.com, as well as several others. Amazon (their independent sellers) often has a good selection of older cookbooks. I do use alibris also but bristle a bit at their including tax. The other sites absorb that cost.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #27
Head Chef

My first cookbook was a Gold Medal Flour cookbook. The flour bags had an offer and you just mailed a request for one.
The recipes were of course for baking. It was from this little book that I learned how to make bread, pie crust, oatmeal cookies.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
When I was about 8, someone gave me "Miss B's First Cookbook." I think I made "Shrimp Wiggle" out of it.

I honestly cannot remember the first cookbook I bought for myself, but one of the first ones my Mom gave me when I first moved out on my own was "Thoughts for Buffets," which I and every one of my cousins -- all great cooks -- still use to this day!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #29
Master Chef

As a cookbook collector, it's difficult to remember where it all started, but I'm thinking it had to be three: the two 3-ring binder "Better Homes & Gardens" & "Pillsbury" cookbooks - given to me at my wedding shower back in the mid-70's, & "The Vampire Cookbook", given to me by my mom, a kindred horror movie fan. "The Vampire Cookbook" has normal recipes, but the dish titles & ingredients all have goulish names. Definitely a fun little book.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I stole mom's 1955 copy of the Good Housekeeping Cook Book sometime during my 20s.