Your First Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first cookbook was the Girl Scout Cookbook, which I got for Christmas when I was in the 4th grade. I had rheumatic fever, and couldn't get out and do much, so I spent a lot of time working on badges for things that didn't take a lot of physical activity.
I still make the Bunsteads and fix the eggs in baskets for the grandkids.

When I was in high school, I got Joy of Cooking and Fannie Farmer's, both wonderful for learning to cook just about anything.

My first cookbook was either a Farm Journal Cookie one or Good HouseKeeping one. I've always loved to cook and my Aunt (I baby sat for her daughterwhen I was around 12) and we joined a cookbook club together and these were my first purchases with my babysitting money. I now have close to 1,500 cookbooks. I've actually cooked from many but not all of them.

Never owned any cookbooks that were really mine until I was 13-years-old. Up to that point, I used the only one my mother owned, the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was given to her when she got married in 1948.

Then when I was in the 8th grade, I joined a cookbook-of-the-month club. I had no idea there were so many different cookbooks in the world and I was immediately hooked. Among my initial 4 choices was The Escoffier Cook Book. When it arrived I should have been intimidated but, instead, I was fascinated and even made some of the recipes in it.

It wasn't too long after I got that book that I learned what I'd selected and gained an instant appreciation for my choice. I still have that book and the pages are now quite yellowed and I've cooked many more dishes from it. That book club started a "disease" that I've never been able to cure. My love of cookbooks and cooking. My collection numbers over 1,000 now and I'm always adding to it. It's a divine addiction.

When I was 20 years old and off to my very own 1st apartment, my grandmother gave me 2 cookbooks. Her very first cookbook that she bought with her own money, a 1950 1st edition picture cookbook from Betty Crocker and her 2nd favorite book the 1961 edition of the NEW picture cookbook from Betty Crocker.

At that time I was so disapointed in her choice of gift, but now as I open those books on a multiple daily basis, I give her praise each time in having enough foresight in me to see what I would be doing when I really grew up.

The Dessert Diva said:
When I was 20 years old and off to my very own 1st apartment, my grandmother gave me 2 cookbooks. Her very first cookbook that she bought with her own money, a 1950 1st edition picture cookbook from Betty Crocker and her 2nd favorite book the 1961 edition of the NEW picture cookbook from Betty Crocker.

I love the 1961 New Picture Cookbook. It's a great cookbook, so fun to read and the graphics are a hoot!

I am such a retro junkie (we have an actual Tiki bar in my house) and this is one of those nostalgia books that will be cool 200 yrs from now!

I think that my first-ever cookbook was the '72 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

And like a fool, I gave it away. Now I wish that I hadn't because it's awefully hard to get.

Last edited:
Mine is the Better Homes and Gardens NEW cook book, October 1979:LOL:
This is still my go to book, even though I have a whole book case full of cook books. I guess it's true what they say, "you never forget your first";)

Back
Top Bottom