"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 AM   #31
Senior Cook

When I was a wee lad of about 10 years, Mum got me the Five Roses Flour cookbook. Now, all those (18) years later...I can't find it and it upsets me. At least they've got it online, now.

Thank you Internet Masters!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #32
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
My first was something like "Help I'm at College and Mom's Gone". I'm sure I'm butchering the title, but oh well. It helped me get started on some of the basics, like hard boiling eggs =)

Nowadays I typically use either this site or allrecipes.com. It's usually pretty easy to find a recipe close to what I want, and then I can modify it by adding more spices or something simply like mushrooms.

My mom gets mad when her recipes get changed without trying them as given, so I just don't tell her what I do to them... hee-hee ;)

Old 02-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

I just got my first cookbook this year at Christmas from my roomate. It's "The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book", so technically it ends up being a present for both of us
Up until now I always used my mom's cookbooks and recipes.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
In the hands of a chef by Jody Adams owner and chef or rialto in boston.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My first, and only, cookbook is THE first cookbook: The 1896 Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer
Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Was like 6-7 years ago, I think it was Emeril Lagasse.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #37
Senior Cook

The Better Homes & Garden checkered one - wedding gift in 1966. Also, inherited my mother's American Woman's Cook Book - on the front it says Edited by ruth Berolzheimer - The copyright I believe is 1942. Bizarre recipes in this book - hard to believe people are fatter now!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
i believe my first cookbook was a companys coming--think it was casseroles,and the other was salads. A wedding gift --way back when(haha) 87--but my favorite and most helpful is one i used so much i have lost pages ---front page,back page...it is a spiral bound . and there is no name left on this book to tell you what it is. it was so helpful to me when i was first starting out--it has cooking secerts,terms,how to do things..
Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #39
Sous Chef

My first and still favorite cookbook is the one my hubby gave me when we first got married: the Betty Crocker Cookbook..lots of pix, no recipes for crockpots or microwave cooking!!!

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #40
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I bought my first real cookbook last week on Amazon.com, Bo Friberg's "The Professional Pastry Chef" 3rd Edition. I've bought a couple of those Ethnic Recipe cookbooks you see on sale for $2 outside of Borders and Barnes & Noble, but they're very specific and not very comprehensive. There's also a Better Homes and Gardens Book around here that I use a lot, but its not mine, and I didn't buy it either.

Friberg's book is about 1200 pages long, and has literally hundreds of recipes for desserts, pastries, breads, etc. They are also accompanied by step-by-step instructions on how to create the masterful presentations, and the chemistry, history, and sanitary concerns for your ingredients, equipment, and workspace. Alot of the the techniques are advanced, but Friberg makes them achievable to even amateurs, provided they have the right ingredients, equipment, and a bit of patience and willingness to learn about what they're making. I've had this book for only about 4 days, and I can't seem to put it down!! Great book for anyone that loves desserts, breads, and pastry, and creating some masterul, delicious, and beautiful creations in your kitchen.