"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #41
Master Chef

My first cookbook was the Girl Scout Cookbook, which I got for Christmas when I was in the 4th grade. I had rheumatic fever, and couldn't get out and do much, so I spent a lot of time working on badges for things that didn't take a lot of physical activity.
I still make the Bunsteads and fix the eggs in baskets for the grandkids.

When I was in high school, I got Joy of Cooking and Fannie Farmer's, both wonderful for learning to cook just about anything.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #42
Senior Cook

My first cookbook was either a Farm Journal Cookie one or Good HouseKeeping one. I've always loved to cook and my Aunt (I baby sat for her daughterwhen I was around 12) and we joined a cookbook club together and these were my first purchases with my babysitting money. I now have close to 1,500 cookbooks. I've actually cooked from many but not all of them.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never owned any cookbooks that were really mine until I was 13-years-old. Up to that point, I used the only one my mother owned, the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was given to her when she got married in 1948.

Then when I was in the 8th grade, I joined a cookbook-of-the-month club. I had no idea there were so many different cookbooks in the world and I was immediately hooked. Among my initial 4 choices was The Escoffier Cook Book. When it arrived I should have been intimidated but, instead, I was fascinated and even made some of the recipes in it.

It wasn't too long after I got that book that I learned what I'd selected and gained an instant appreciation for my choice. I still have that book and the pages are now quite yellowed and I've cooked many more dishes from it. That book club started a "disease" that I've never been able to cure. My love of cookbooks and cooking. My collection numbers over 1,000 now and I'm always adding to it. It's a divine addiction.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #44
Cook

My husband gave me one as a Christmas gift, it was New Laurel's Kitchen, that was 1992. Well, it was new then.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #45
Cook

When I was 20 years old and off to my very own 1st apartment, my grandmother gave me 2 cookbooks. Her very first cookbook that she bought with her own money, a 1950 1st edition picture cookbook from Betty Crocker and her 2nd favorite book the 1961 edition of the NEW picture cookbook from Betty Crocker.

At that time I was so disapointed in her choice of gift, but now as I open those books on a multiple daily basis, I give her praise each time in having enough foresight in me to see what I would be doing when I really grew up.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #46
Sous Chef

[quote=The Dessert Diva]When I was 20 years old and off to my very own 1st apartment, my grandmother gave me 2 cookbooks. Her very first cookbook that she bought with her own money, a 1950 1st edition picture cookbook from Betty Crocker and her 2nd favorite book the 1961 edition of the NEW picture cookbook from Betty Crocker.

I love the 1961 New Picture Cookbook. It's a great cookbook, so fun to read and the graphics are a hoot!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #47
Cook

I am such a retro junkie (we have an actual Tiki bar in my house) and this is one of those nostalgia books that will be cool 200 yrs from now!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #48
Executive Chef

I think that my first-ever cookbook was the '72 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

And like a fool, I gave it away. Now I wish that I hadn't because it's awefully hard to get.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #49
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
deja vu..........
Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #50
Head Chef

Mine is the Better Homes and Gardens NEW cook book, October 1979
This is still my go to book, even though I have a whole book case full of cook books. I guess it's true what they say, "you never forget your first"