"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Master Chef

You know, I grew up on Better Homes and Gardens, but one very rare thing both my husbands (I had a couple year starter marriage, something that in retrospect I recommend to everyone) had in common, and I do mean there is very little that they have in common (heck, I have no clue as to what happened to the first, I've been with my husband for 28 years!) was that both their mothers used the Betty Crocker cookbook. I still refer back to Betty on occaision, but don't own a Better Homes and Gardens one, in spite of having hundreds of cook books. When our first (inherited when we married) Betty Crocker fell apart, I bought a new one and compared recipes that we regularly used, and put in the old ones if they were different. What people will do for love.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Yep, that red and white checked cookbook was my first as well. I cooked my first meal out of that cookbook when I was ten years old - meatloaf!
Same here. The ol' red and white checked book is still one of the best.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

Another vote here for the good old red-&-white checkered 3-ring binder "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook. When I married back in 1975, I was gifted with not only that basic, but also it's nearly identical competitor put out by Pillsbury. Also, a little paperback put out by Betty Crocker entitled "Cooking For Two", which I used until it fell apart. My mother, however, being a superior cook & way before her time, saw fit to gift me with "Madame Chu's Chinese Cooking School" (along with a wok), instead of one of the "basics". That continues to be my favorite Chinese cookbook.

I still have all 4 of the above in my now uber-vast cookbook collection. I consider them old friends.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Hmm, maybe I better get that B H & G for my collection!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I am sad to admit this but Southern Living!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Hmm, maybe I better get that B H & G for my collection!

i would, laurie! they have so many basics. i miss my Parent's 1970's 1. it was great. i tore most of the pages where the binder rings were. my brother got me 1 this past Christmas.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Head Chef

It was some children's cookbook from the Scholastic Library or whatever the company was that sold books to schoolchildren.

First item I cooked all by myself at age 10 or so:

BEANS AND FRANKS!

That cookbook finally fell apart, despite Mom's faithful taping. She was probably happy, because the meals weren't terribly adult oriented, LOL

edit to add:
The cookbooks i remember best from my Mom's kitchen is the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking. You bought one every month from the grocery store... she got them all. James Beard, Craig Clairborne and others wrote commentaries; it's a great set.
And I did inherit it... currently it is my evening reading, LOL
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Forty seven years ago, for a cub scout project and merit badge, I cooked my first meal: Fried pork chops, peas, apple sauce and mashed potatoes. Ten years after that I bought my first cookbook. My wife had her collection which I could use, but for myself I bought "Wok Cookery." Between the charcoal grill in my front yard on the island Guam, the stove top wok, and the kind and patient Samoan lady who lived next door, I was on my way!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Mr. Greenjeans

Funny, I cannot remember using one to learn. I was cooking for years before I ever bought a cookbook. My mother and sisters use them like The Bible

(And Moses came down from the range and declaired "If its not in the book, don't make it. And if you don't have all the ingredients, don't make it. Thus I have spake!" {thundercrashes})

They used to stare in disbelief when I would find I was missing an ingredient and then sub another. In the face of numerous holiday compliments they will still not sample what I brought until someone else does first.

Fav book...

The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
It was some children's cookbook from the Scholastic Library or whatever the company was that sold books to schoolchildren.

First item I cooked all by myself at age 10 or so:

BEANS AND FRANKS!

That cookbook finally fell apart, despite Mom's faithful taping. She was probably happy, because the meals weren't terribly adult oriented, LOL
How could I have forgotten the good old "Scholastic Book Club"! My parents, being reading/literature fanatics, definitely encouraged me to purchase whatever interested me, & of course I purchased the "cookbook". It primarily contained non-cook items, & the few cooked items were definitely prefaced with "needs mom's supervision" - lol!! But it was fun & I enjoyed it a lot at that age.