"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #21
Head Chef

I don't recall that my mother had any hardbound cookbooks. There was just her loose-leaf binder and tin box of recipes from family and friends, and some soft cover books she got at the supermarket and so forth. With my mom's help, I learned to bake from one of those, all of which I still have in my collection.

In my senior year in college, one of my roommates had a copy that he brought from home of what I think was the Betty Crocker Cookbook, or maybe it was the BH&G or Good Housekeeping. Whatever it was, we used it quite a bit, and I learned the difference between cloves and cloves of garlic as a result.

But the first cookbook on which my wife and I relied was the 1965 edition of The Settlement Cookbook, which I believe my MIL gave us when we were married in 1968. It's a treasure of American cookery:

We also had several of the Sunset Cookbooks very early on. We used those a lot, especially the Mexican cookbook -- still some of the best authentic Mexican and early California recipes around, IMHO.

We began collecting soon after we were married and now have more than 1,000 cookbooks.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
Senior Cook

My first cookbook was a Betty Crocker number, when I was 13. My mother bought it for me because I told her I was sick of cooking pasta dishes every night (which went on for months) because that's all I knew how to cook.

Then came The Frugal Gourmet and The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American - followed by McCall's Cooking School - and it all went downhill from there.

Worth noting, I only ever poke my nose in a cookbook to get ideas. I'll look at recipes online to get a vague notion of what something is supposed to look like, and then freewheel it.

My favorite times in the kitchen are when someone hands me a random ingredient and I improvise something on the fly.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
My first cookbook was an Italian cookbook by Sunset. I used that thing until it fell apart. I recently found it again in a thrift store and bought it again, for nostalgic reasons.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post

My favorite times in the kitchen are when someone hands me a random ingredient and I improvise something on the fly.
Fun!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The first cookbook I remember cooking out of was I think a Betty Crocker Chinese type cookbook. I was around 19. Caught the bug for sure with that one!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
My first cookbook was an Italian cookbook by Sunset. I used that thing until it fell apart. I recently found it again in a thrift store and bought it again, for nostalgic reasons.
Trust me, I know cookbooks as I own more than 1000 of them. The recipes in Sunset and Southern Living cookbooks (both published by Lane, if I recall correctly) are by and large very, very good, much better than most magazine cookbooks.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

The Joy of Cooking and Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I'm delighted that "Julie and Julia" has boosted sales of the latter. It really does teach you to cook.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Oh yes and also Cook, My Darling Daughter by Mildred O. Knopf. My mom must have given it to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
Another Better Homes and Gardens beginning here. My mother taught me how to organize and cook a full meal when I was only 7 years old (while she supervised, of course).
Later on, I really got into using a small "Smokey Joe" Weber grill while in college, and picked up a copy of The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American a few years later.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

My mother gave me my first cookbook, a brand new first edition Betty Crocker’s Boys and Girls Cook Book when I was 9-years-old. So now you know my age… Anyway, I memorized that book and every picture, dreaming of the dishes I was going to prepare for my family… I learned to cook with that book...