Your first cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't like the binder in the betty crocker picture cook book that I gave it to my nephew. I had found someone on ebay selling the 1998 hardcopy brand news in excellent conditions for really cheat $10.00 I prefer hardcover books better.

I got my 2nd cookbook Artisan Bread In Five Minutes a Day.

I found that book a complete waste of money. It is not in 5 min. a day. You have to do all the prework first and then go from there. I also thought it was kinda gross sitting in your fridge for so long.

Although there were a couple of cookbooks at home when I was a kid, the first one I bought when I moved out on my own was Sunset's Cooking For Two...Or Just For You. This was around 1979.

I still have it.

just got a great cookbook. i can still find methods and recipes that i haven't tried. it is called almost homemade and is put out by taste of home mag. lots of lovely pictures. found a recipe for pork country ribs, that i am going to try. it would be good for a beginner. nothing to hard to make.

The first cookbook I bought was The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook. I was a vegetarian back then. It's not only vegetarian food. I still use it on occasion. I like recipes for whole grains and that attitude to food.

The first cookbook I bought was The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook. I was a vegetarian back then. It's not only vegetarian food. I still use it on occasion. I like recipes for whole grains and that attitude to food.

I remember that one but I swore by The Los Angeles Times Natural Foods Cookbook back then and still do.

I remember that one but I swore by The Los Angeles Times Natural Foods Cookbook back then and still do.

I guess I only saw the NY Times one 'cause I live on the right coast; you saw the LA Times one 'cause you live on the left coast.

I guess I only saw the NY Times one 'cause I live on the right coast; you saw the LA Times one 'cause you live on the left coast.

I lived in New York at that time but I liked the recipes in the L.A. Times Natural Cookbook better than the N.Y. Times one. :chef:

Does my mother's head count as a cookbook? The only time I can remember the cookbooks coming out was when she was baking. Other than that she would just wing it.

When I first began cooking, I did it by wrote -- watching how my mom did it. I was probably 8 or 10 or so. She started me off on simple stuff, like PB&J sandwiches, toast, and then I graduated to oatmeal (the stuff out of the tube, not the microwave stuff). I can't recall usig a cookbook back then. But she did. She had the old Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook that she eventually wore out. I remember looking through it, but I don't recall using it. Several years ago, Betty Crocker did a reprint of the same book, and my mom bought herself a copy and a copy for each of us kids. It's cool having it in our collection, although I seldom refer to it.

I kind of cooked by the seat of my pants for years before I can recall getting my first cookbook, and it was one I inherited from my grandmother -- a 1940s edition of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. I've had that book in my library for 35 years, and I still refer to it on a regular basis. It's spine has come off, but the binding is still intact and all the pages are there. So I handle it gingerly these days. When it comes to plain old American cooking, it's just simply a great book.

Last edited:
I still have my first cookbook! I was maybe 8 when I got it and it's a Mickey Mouse one that I had mom order thru the Scholastic book order that the schools always have. What's sad is I never really had the opportunity to make anything out of it because mom was always working, and the recipes aren't simple like you would expect in a kid's cookbook. Maybe I could cook my way through it with my 5 year old?!? That sounds like a plan.

I still have my first cookbook! I was maybe 8 when I got it and it's a Mickey Mouse one that I had mom order thru the Scholastic book order that the schools always have. What's sad is I never really had the opportunity to make anything out of it because mom was always working, and the recipes aren't simple like you would expect in a kid's cookbook. Maybe I could cook my way through it with my 5 year old?!? That sounds like a plan.

You bet. What a great idea! You'll have loads of fun and it will be something you both will always remember.

The "American Woman's Cook Book", edited by Ruth Berolzheimer, published for the Culinary Arts Institute in 1939. Gives some insight into the good and bad of how things used to be in my younger years.

Last edited:
I knew a baker who was a POW on a French farm. He had nothing but nice things to say about his captors and their food.
:) we had a massive US base near by up till the 60's, everyone had good things to say about the illegal activities around the PX;)

Back
Top Bottom