"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cookbook - copyright 1981
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172282736680

Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Head Chef

Just to simply look through and drool, plus make a few recipes now and again, the following (which could also be used as coffee table books they have such beautiful pictures and stories).

John Besh - Cooking from the Heart
Hubert Keller - The Cuisine of Hubert Keller
Norman Van Aken - Feast of Sunlight
Marcel Desaulniers - Death by Chocolate

There's one more than used to fall under this category but it's getting kind of old and the binding is failing, plus there are a few pages that have been well used. It's got gold edged paper and is called International Cuisine something or nother (not the book mentioned by the OP). That's the book that has the spinach pasta with garlic/onion sauce that I was asked to write out the recipe and at least one person made. Kind of an odd book, it's got casseroles that use canned and/or prepackaged products and then totally from scratch recipes, Simple American food to International Cuisine broken down by country, then separate dessert, cake/pie, cookie chapters. Um, the best white chocolate chip/macadamia nut cookies. Some kid came by selling them at the office I used to work for almost 30 years ago for less than $20.

We've made at least 1 dish out of each of the first 4, usually more, but the first 2 especially tend to be quite complicated and use things a home cook might not have easy access to, ingredients mostly. The most recent acquisition, John Besh's book, has had only 1 thing made out of it, but OMG, it was to literally lick the plate clean good. I would have been seriously tempted in the restaurant to do that! But would have used a piece of bread. Very time consuming and a bit pricy but had the truffles and crab anyway from B-day present/dinner. Hubert Keller's recipes tend to be quite complicated and technical, and fussy to put together, but are always excellent when it comes time to eat. Norman Van Aken's tend to be on the spicy side, sometimes REALLY spicy, have a lot of ingredients and take time, but, again, come out great. Death by Chocolate, what can you say about recipes in a book named that, everything I've made from that has gotten rave reviews.

Oh, forgot Taste by David Rosengarten. It's getting a bit used too. Has an excellent crab cake, the best I've ever had, just barely (and I do mean barely) has enough filler to hold it together. His moussaka recipe is one of our favs too.

You can definitely tell the books we use a lot, Paul Prudhomme's, Ming Tsai, several of Jeff Smith's, Memories of a Cuban Kitchen by Mary Urrutia Randelman, a Sunset House Italian book, Emeril's Christmas book, New New Orleans book and Real and Rustic. I use the internet a lot, whether recipes from a reliable web site or inspiration from a blog. Plus, the cooking shows and shows like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where I got the inspiration to try to copycat the 5 or 6-meat bolognese recipe I posted.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Head Chef

Oh, we've got a 3-shelf, at least 3 feet wide unit that is packed full, with overflow books and mags in a couple of places.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Only five!

https://www.amazon.com/Fannie-Farmer.../dp/0553568817

https://www.amazon.com/More-Less-Coo.../dp/083619263X

https://www.amazon.com/New-Laurels-K.../dp/089815166X

Those are the top three that I refer to most often. I have many, many more, it is just to difficult to choose a couple of must haves from those that remain.
My mother had the original Boston Cooking School Cookbook. I think I read that from front to back several times.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My mother had the original Boston Cooking School Cookbook. I think I read that from front to back several times.
I have one that was revised in 1910. It still assumes that a cook knows what a hot or moderate oven is and gives no information about the specific oven temperatures to use. It also instructs the cook to boil some vegetables for a long, long time.

The one I use was updated by the late Marion Cunningham. IMO Marion Cunningham was a great home cook.

Here she is with Julia Child.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It also instructs the cook to boil some vegetables for a long, long time.
If you ever read "The Good Old Days: They Were Terrible!", you would understand why
Old 07-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

I only own 1 cookbook which I bought like 10 years ago. The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have one that was revised in 1910. It still assumes that a cook knows what a hot or moderate oven is and gives no information about the specific oven temperatures to use. It also instructs the cook to boil some vegetables for a long, long time.

The one I use was updated by the late Marion Cunningham. IMO Marion Cunningham was a great home cook.

Here she is with Julia Child.

I know what you mean by oven temp. My mother started out with a wood burning stove. She had one on the farm and also when we left. She taught me how to stick my hand in it, and I could tell the temp. Then she got an oil burning stove that had a thermometer on the front. It wasn't very accurate.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks GG.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I just downsized my cookbook collection to almost nothing. I get most if not all of my recipes on line. I virtually stopped using them.

I am curious if their are other of you that have or are considering the same thing.

Guess I am trying to figure if I just did something bad....

Mark

Tags
cook, cookbook, cookbooks