"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

After we rice potatoes, we use them to make lefse, Norwegian flat potato bread. Yum!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I bought my ricer for one purpose, and it wasn't to mash potatoes. I bought mine specifically to squeeze the moisture out of potatoes that had been grated for hashbrowns. I have never used it to mash (or rice) potatoes. I may have to try it sometime, but it seems to me, since I would then have to dirty another utensil to mix in the butter and all, I may as well just use a masher.

Dedicated ricer users, is the difference between riced and conventionally mashed potatoes enough that guests ask "Ooh, however did you make these delightful potatoes" without any hinting or prompting from you? If it is, I would like to know; I already have the ricer. :)

Old 10-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

After ricing the potatoes, I mix the butter, etc in with the serving spoon I'm going to use to serve it. You certainly don't need a potato masher to do that.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #24
Master Chef

I inherited one from my grandmother & haven't used it yet. In fact, after our last move, I frankly don't even know where it is. Most likely still in a box in the basement somewhere.

However, my grandmother was famous for her fabulous Czech potato dumplings, & she claimed that they were absolutely impossible to make without a potato ricer.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
Can it be used as a spaetzle maker?
I have heard that before but have never attempted to make spaetzle in any way.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I just stumbled across the Idahoan not the Idaho instant potatoes a few weeks ago. I don't normally use instant because they never were that good but these are not bad at all in fact they are very good. Nice to have around when you are in a pinch, feeling lazy or just have no potatoes.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
After ricing the potatoes, I mix the butter, etc in with the serving spoon I'm going to use to serve it. You certainly don't need a potato masher to do that.
Certainly. I meant I might as well have used a masher in the first place, rather than a ricer.

I'm still curious, though. Are your results with the ricer superior to those you get when you use a masher? Yours personally, that is?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I have a ricer but find that if I boil potatoes long enough they whip up nice and creamy and fluffy with a hand held mixer.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
...I'm still curious, though. Are your results with the ricer superior to those you get when you use a masher? Yours personally, that is?

Absolutely better! They are perfectly smooth and fluffy. I never use anything else now.

I grew up in an era when lumps in your mashed potatoes meant you were a failure in the kitchen. I've gotten used to that.

Now folks often say they prefer 'texture' or 'rustic style'. That's OK but not my preference.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Lumpy potatoes, lumpy gravy... Yeah, I grew up in that era too. :)
Thanks, I'll have to try it.