"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Cook
A good but inexpensive pasta machine?

I'm looking for a pasta maker, a hand cranked one. There are some models in the $30 range, but from the reviews I realized that they aren't very sturdy and tend to break. I wonder if there are any good sturdy ones at the $50 range? Thanks!

Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I used a rolling pin and a multi-wheel rolling cutter for the longest time. There are some hand crank ones for like $30/$40 out there, but as you mentioned, the build quality can be a little dubious.

Pasta Noodle Maker Machine

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Head Chef
I can tell you I got this Atlas (Marcato) machine from Amazon for USD71 shipped. I like it. Runs smooth. Has appropriate settings. Etc. Can't complain about anything.

Amazon.com: Marcato Atlas Wellness 150 Pasta Maker, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

I tend to trust Amazon user reviews, if there are more than a few reviewers. Going by that, Atlas, Cocina Pro, and Imperia get good reviews and are all about the same price. There seems to be nothing much less until you get down to under USD30, and that one has problems.

I took a quick look, and Atlas machines are all over eBay, used, for well under USD50. I think a pasta machine is a good prospect for used purchase. So many are given as gifts or bought on a whim by people who end up only making pasta once, that if one is described in excellent condition and still has the box and maybe the manual, it's a good bet.

There are indeed some poor examples around. Roma seems to get some poor reviews for cheap construction.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote