A Very British Brotform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breadstead

Assistant Cook
Here in the UK, artisan bakers use a baking bowl called a brotform to leave a pattern in bread dough, which gives a signature look to the finished loaf.

These bowls are traditionally made from rattan cane & shipped in to the UK from China or Indonesia. There's a wood pulp alternative, but we ship them from overseas too.

I've started a project to produce a more sustainable, British version, using UK workforces all the way.

So a question for UK residents only - as I can't consider shipping internationally just yet (tiny operation) - as a baker, would you like to use a British product instead, providing it was no more expensive?

Thanks.

A question from across the pond. Is it possible for the bottom (top of the loaf) to have a signature mark such as the name of the bakery there? Or could that be something down the line? I was thinking something along the line of a clay piece with the name written in backwads to be placed in the basket. Good luck in your endeavor to create a home made product and keeping the money at home. :angel:

A question from across the pond. Is it possible for the bottom (top of the loaf) to have a signature mark such as the name of the bakery there? Or could that be something down the line? I was thinking something along the line of a clay piece with the name written in backwads to be placed in the basket. Good luck in your endeavor to create a home made product and keeping the money at home. :angel:

Hi. Yeah, I looked into that. If it is possible, it'll be way down the line, as it's a micro MICRO business project right now, and that would involve extra tooling costs....

I came up with the idea because I bake every day, but couldn't find a British alternative to this kind of bowl...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom