"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Executive Chef

All-Clad 12 qt SS Multi-Cooker

We needed to replace some non-stick stock pots that were loosing the non-stick surface. We had a 20% off coupon from BB&B. Looks like this baby can replace several other pots and gadgets. It has two steamer baskets, one of which can be used fir pasta. The other can replace the baskets we stick in sauce pans when we want to steam. Anyone else have one of these?

PS- Has anyone used a potato ricer to "squeeze" the liquid out of steamed/boiled spinach?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Craig, do you have a link to the All-clad?

I use my Oxo ricer to squeeze spinach all the time. Works great!

Old 09-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hey Andy, this is the cooker:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...ker/1012460112

I can't believe I always used a kitchen towel for draining spinach! Now I won't have anymore "rope burns".
Old 09-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have something similar (not All-Clad). I pretty much stopped using it because it takes so much water to fill it enough to boil pasta, and I don't steam that much food at one time. I use it for a stock pot and sometimes for large amounts of pasta sauce, but that's it.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have something similar (not All-Clad). I pretty much stopped using it because it takes so much water to fill it enough to boil pasta, and I don't steam that much food at one time. I use it for a stock pot and sometimes for large amounts of pasta sauce, but that's it.
Compared to the pot I've been using for pasta, this is small.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. It mostly takes up room in the cabinet. It's just too large for daily use at our house. Because of the size it requires hand washing because it doesn't fit in the dishwasher. Too much of a PITA just to boil pasta.

We do use it periodically when preparing larger quantities of food for guests. A double batch of red beans and rice comes to mind. It also makes a great crawfish boil pot.

Just my .02.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I bought one of these a couple of years ago. It mostly takes up room in the cabinet. It's just too large for daily use at our house. Because of the size it requires hand washing because it doesn't fit in the dishwasher. Too much of a PITA just to boil pasta.

We do use it periodically when preparing larger quantities of food for guests. A double batch of red beans and rice comes to mind. It also makes a great crawfish boil pot.

Just my .02.

Must be a small boil, cause I think my 40 qt is too small for a 40# sack!
Karen just mentioned that when making stock use the large basket. That way you can pull out the basket with all the solids and not have to handle a pot full of hot liquid to strain the solids.

Tags
cook