"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

For me the difference in using the bowl method and the fat separator method would depend (as it does for most of my kitchen tools) on how often it is needed. If you make a lot of gravy from drippings, a fat separator would be a good investment. If you only make it occasionally, it wouldn't make sense. Since the OP already has one and was asking how to use it properly, it doesn't really matter what most of us use. I have always kind of wanted a fat separator, and I could eat enough gravy to float a battleship, but I don't make gravy that often (trying to lose weight and lower my cholesterol), and I don't have money to spend on things that aren't essential, so I use the bowl method as well. Will I buy a fat separator someday? If I have the opportunity, probably since I love gadgets.

Barbara

Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have a fat/gravy separator that, like many of our cooking tools/gadgets, I bought at a thrift store for very little. I really like it and it does a great job. As for storing it, it hangs on my ceiling rack system I've created in my kitchen. Trust me my kitchen ceiling looks like a culinary stalactite configuration.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
We have a fat/gravy separator that, like many of our cooking tools/gadgets, I bought at a thrift store for very little. I really like it and it does a great job. As for storing it, it hangs on my ceiling rack system I've created in my kitchen. Trust me my kitchen ceiling looks like a culinary stalactite configuration.
I love bargains and cool kitchens!

Barbara
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Using a separator instead of a SS bowl makes it easier to pour off the defatted liquid. You don't have to wait for the fat to solidify.
Exactly!! I need the defatted chicken/beef stock right now. Not tomorrow.
I wouldn't be without one of these gadgets. I had two,(different sizes) but am down to one.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Exactly!! I need the defatted chicken/beef stock right now. Not tomorrow.
I wouldn't be without one of these gadgets. I had two,(different sizes) but am down to one.
Really. Of the years Iíve been cooking, timing is THE thing to learn. Have you had many dishes that you couldnít time right without a gravy separator? Does it make that much of a difference in your planning?

Like poaching an egg is about 3 minutes, any longer and some say you have over cooked the egg. Or with Octopus they say the rule is 2 minutes or 2 hours. Iíve not cooked anything with a broth that needed to be de-fatted very quickly before. Are there dishes with such critical timing where the broth must be put to use quickly for the dish to work properly?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Really. Of the years Iíve been cooking, timing is THE thing to learn. Have you had many dishes that you couldnít time right without a gravy separator? Does it make that much of a difference in your planning?
I use the gadget to defat chicken stock (mostly) sometimes beef or duck to reduce the fat for use in a dish I am making at the time. I pour the stock in the gadget, let it sit for a few minutes while the fat rises to the top, then pour off the stock into the dish leaving the fat behind. That is/was my plan from the beginning, so it has nothing to do with timing.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
There is nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job.It has nothing to do with timing. A fat separator is a perfectly valid tool to use.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
There is nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job.It has nothing to do with timing. A fat separator is a perfectly valid tool to use.
Who said it was invalid?

I was wondering if it was a timing issue?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I use the gadget to defat chicken stock (mostly) sometimes beef or duck to reduce the fat for use in a dish I am making at the time. I pour the stock in the gadget, let it sit for a few minutes while the fat rises to the top, then pour off the stock into the dish leaving the fat behind. That is/was my plan from the beginning, so it has nothing to do with timing.
I bet you get a lot of fat from a duck stock! How long does it take for the fat to rise? Can you do it at room temp, or do you have to put it in the fridge?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Your implication was that a fat separator was not needed. i was simply saying that there was nothing wrong with using one.

Quote:
Have you had many dishes that you couldn’t time right without a gravy separator?