"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Must admit that when I'm making gravy. I pour the fat & jus out of the roasting pan into a saucepan. I then pour off most of the fat and use the remainder of the fat and the jus to make the gravy. No gadgets at all. We do have a seperator - force of habit keeps me doingthis way.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #32
Master Chef

I have a plastic measuring cup with a long spout that comes out of the bottom. I guess that's what you'd call a gravy separator. It cost me about two bucks at Walmart. It's very handy.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Actually used my seperator tonight. I braised some rolled breast of lamb in red wine & orange juice. At the end of cooking - a thick layer of fat over the food, so I poured off the cooking liquor and used the seperator to take the fat off and landed up with a lovely non-greasy sauce.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Actually used my seperator tonight. I braised some rolled breast of lamb in red wine & orange juice. At the end of cooking - a thick layer of fat over the food, so I poured off the cooking liquor and used the seperator to take the fat off and landed up with a lovely non-greasy sauce.
Oh the irony! Would you believe I ended up wanting one of these last night! I did some braised beef short ribs, and had to de-fat the liquid!

I ended up using a large glass mixing bowl. The fat rose in about 3 minutes, and I then ladled it out and had perfectly de-fatted liquid. It worked really well, but I imagine a separator would have been even easier.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

I often defat a braise right in the pot using a ladle to skim the fat off.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #36
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I often defat a braise right in the pot using a ladle to skim the fat off.
I typically do too! And I always end up with some good liquid mixed with the fat, so I put it in the fridge to congeal the fat and reclaim that little bit of liquid. With short ribs, I'm usually using a crock pot to make a soup or stew, but last night was a new recipe on the stove top, and this thread got me curious as to alternative ways of skimming fat.

The recipe called for braising the ribs for 2-3 hours, then set them aside, de-fat the liquid, then reduce it. Then bake the ribs in the remaining liquid to glaze them.

I was actually impressed with how quickly the fat rose in the glass mixing bowl and you could easily see the separation. But the recipe itself was horrible!

I KNEW better than to follow it exactly. It calls for 1 cup of soy and several other wet ingredients. In the end, you reduce it down to 1 1/4 cup, and let me tell you, reducing that much Soy down to that small amount is INCREDIBLY salty. What a waste of good short ribs. Oh well, live and learn. I think I should have probbly cut the soy in half, and subbed in some Teriyaki instead.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I have a fat separator but usually use a ladle.Reading these posts I had a thought what if you put a ladle or fry pan in the freezer then just set on top of what needs to be defatted.Would it work?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I have a fat separator but usually use a ladle.Reading these posts I had a thought what if you put a ladle or fry pan in the freezer then just set on top of what needs to be defatted.Would it work?

Yes, that would work. Some folks use frozen water bottles to cool down large pots of homemade stock and the added benefit is the fat solidifies on the bottle. So it could work with a skillet or fry pan, etc.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, Andy. I keep a couple of 1- or 2-liter bottles of water in the freezer for that very purpose and have posted same on this site. I just "swish" the frozen bottle of water in the liquid, which cools it down pretty quickly and the fat clings to the bottle. Pretty efficient and not messy at all.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #40
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I understand that, if you "float" a couple of slices of bread on top, the bread will absorb the fat and leave you with just the stock/broth.